LB26 questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
nicogold
New Poster
New Poster

LB26 questions

Post by nicogold » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Hello everybody,

recently I finished an OT16 as my first boat and now I am looking for my next project. I like the Lobster Boat 26 very much and I got some questions concerning this design:

1. The legal towing width here in Germany is 2.55m. Can the rubrail be altered to meet this? I don't want to scale the plan.

2. The towing limit of my car is 2000kg and the trailer will be around 400kg. Is it possible to build the LB26 with 1600kg on the trailer? I am thinking of a light foam core build with a 200hp gas engine and I dont need many options. For example I don't need water tanks or huge fuel tanks.

3. Can the Divinycell be replaced by Airex T10 (http://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/airex- ... -foam.html) ?

Kind regards,
Nico

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: LB26 questions

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:21 pm

100.4" versus 102"

I'd say you should risk it. When they pull you over and measure it too big, tell them it was 100" plan and they aren't measuring square. Poor fellows will give up.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:40 am

Be interesting to hear what Jacques has to say on this, but I very much doubt that you can get this boat down to the weight you require to be legal with that vehicle.

Interestingly, the plate on my trailer says that it weighs 500 kg, but when I put it over the scales it was closer to 600 kg.

Legal width in Australia is also 2.5 M, although you can go a bit over that with restrictions on when and where you can tow it and requirements for signs and a rotating light. My boat is right on the 2.5M and slightly over that with the guide uprights on the trailer for loading the boat. I would not risk getting caught on the road here with a boat that I couldn't make easily completely legal. To do so would risk having to leave the boat/trailer in some remote place while I arranged for a truck to collect it. In my case I can remove the uprights and make the boat/trailer legal on the spot. The other thing to consider is that in the event of you having an accident on the road with an illegal width boat you could be in a world of hurt.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

nicogold wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 pm

1. The legal towing width here in Germany is 2.55m. Can the rubrail be altered to meet this? I don't want to scale the plan.
You can omit the rubrail and it gets very close to 250 cm. Or scale the whole boat down.

2. The towing limit of my car is 2000kg and the trailer will be around 400kg. Is it possible to build the LB26 with 1600kg on the trailer? I am thinking of a light foam core build with a 200hp gas engine and I dont need many options. For example I don't need water tanks or huge fuel tanks.

You could but the boat may not float right. It would be better to scale the plans down 5%. For that boat, it is easy since we don't use developable panels.

3. Can the Divinycell be replaced by Airex T10 (http://www.airexbaltekbanova.com/airex- ... -foam.html) ?

Absolutely. I am a great fan of Airex. You can get it directly from Sins in Switzerland.
Airex cost more but is a superior product. In most of my designs, I use Divynicell for the superstructure only and Airex or Corecell would be overkill for the LB26, it is a better choice. I think I mention it in the building notes.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

nicogold
New Poster
New Poster

Post by nicogold » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks a lot for the fast response. Scaling down seems to be the right way since I want a 100% legal vehicle when towing. Production boats of this size weigh more and thus require at least a large SUV for towing. Seeing such a big boat behind a station wagon might look out of proportion to many cops, so I might get checked pretty often.

What about he power requirement when scaling down 5%? Would a 135hp-Inline-4 be sufficient or would you go for a 190hp-V6? I want to get on plane easily, but top speed is not a priority.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am

I would not change the engine specs. 135 HP is borderline low.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com