Tiller Steer Walleye Boat (Scaled down Abaco?)

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
smjohnson
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Abaco tiller steer walleye boat

Post by smjohnson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Fallguy,

Yes that is what I was thinking last night a I assume is a big part of my struggle with the plans on here. Where I fish Lunds, Rangers, Skeeters, Warriors, Alum-crafts kinda rule the roost for Multi-Species boats. Please don't quote me but I am pretty sure non of these are self bailing. I think I just need to look for a non self bailing design with a moderate V

Scott

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Forget the self bailing idea. Every boat you named has a bilge pump.

Personally I hate low freeboard. Feels awful in 3 footers unless you are moving into them.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I finally found my notes from Ranger when I was going to build my C17 like there Multispecies 18. The one question I asked was the distance from the sheer to the waterline. The answer I got back was 22". If you look at the 620T the sides are higher than the 20" transom and angle down to it. The C19/21 could be cut down to that height. Here are photos: https://www.rangerboats.com/fiberglass/ ... /620t.html

You could probably lower the deck a couple of inches, but that would require Jacques permission as they are structural parts of the boat. This would take away the self bailing feature. It is really easy to customize these boats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm thinking Mangusta20.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Changing the sheer should be something JM can address. There is a low sheer boat in the chatter now.

Rangers are open forward for fishing. The Mangusta shows a closed bow and closed section aft for the i-o. The study says it can be modified to bow rider-that would be similar to casting deck n pedestal(s).

It would be a lot of changes for a first build unless it were redrawn in my opinion.

However, the lines are not too far off the Ranger. The one on the dock looks a little higher than most Rangers for'd.

The boat is super light though and it would never be a super stable fishing platform. It'd rock like mad in a sidewind. Clearly designed for speed; not platform.

smjohnson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by smjohnson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:48 pm

I found a plan on another site that I think is pretty close to what I am thinking but it is built ply over frames. I really prefer the build technique that bateau uses vs ply over frames. Anyways just for kicks here is the specs.

Kingfisher
Length 18’ (I would extend 10% per plans)
Beam 7’6”
Deadrise 18 deg
Cockpit depth 24”
Freeboard 25 1/2”
Max HP 175 (I would like 115-150max)
Sheer is pretty flat in the bow and would be easy to mount trolling motor

Seems really close to the size of the Ranger 620t but not a bateau design or construction. :(

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Fallguy changing the sheer line has been done many times. If you think about it lowering it will actually make the sides stronger. You still have the same structural parts(bulkheads, frames, rubrail, gunnels). Most recommend flipping the boat and then laying out the sheer line that looks good for you. Plus you can mark a temporary water line to help you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:21 am

smjohnson wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:48 pm
I found a plan on another site that I think is pretty close to what I am thinking but it is built ply over frames. I really prefer the build technique that bateau uses vs ply over frames. Anyways just for kicks here is the specs.

Kingfisher
Length 18’ (I would extend 10% per plans)
Beam 7’6”
Deadrise 18 deg
Cockpit depth 24”
Freeboard 25 1/2”
Max HP 175 (I would like 115-150max)
Sheer is pretty flat in the bow and would be easy to mount trolling motor

Seems really close to the size of the Ranger 620t but not a bateau design or construction. :(

KF hull is way too light. You won't like how it compares to the 620T. It is less than half the weight. The only way to get a similar stable platform in a plywood hull would be to get to 8' 6" beam. That boat will rock like mad when drifting. The Ranger hull is 1725#.

You are going to want full trailerable beam. Trust me. I have nothing to lose or gain.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 am

What about a scaled up 10% ph18?

Lots of deadrise and a light boat will result in a boat that is not very stable at rest in any chop.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:55 am

Where are you going to use the boat? What waters? Lake Erie or smaller lakes?

I am just wondering if your sor is accurate or not. Perhaps you ought to step back and ask for SOR help first.