Tiller Steer Walleye Boat (Scaled down Abaco?)

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
smjohnson
New Poster
New Poster

Tiller Steer Walleye Boat (Scaled down Abaco?)

Post by smjohnson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Good Day,

I am looking for a plan that would compare to a Ranger 620t (tiller steer).

620t Specs:
Length 20’1”
Beam 90”
Engine shaft length 25”
Cockpit depth 23.5”
Approx boat weight 1725 lbs
Max HP 200 (115hp 36-37mph 150hp 46-47mph, these speeds were taking from various reviews online)

Would an Abaco 23 scaled down 10% be a comparable hull? Thought I read somewhere that the AB23 was 1700 pounds. I would think scaling down and omitting center console (if possible) would save a couple hundred pounds. Do you think a 115-150 hp outboard on a scaled down AB23 would perform similar to the Ranger 620t?

Thanks in advance, Scott
Last edited by smjohnson on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Abaco tiller steer walleye boat

Post by TomW1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Ah a walleye hunter, best tasting fresh water fish hands down, maybe the best over ocean fish. Take a look at the GP21 I think it will meet all your needs well. That would be the boat I would look at to build if I was back up on the lakes where I grew up on. With a 150 top speed is in excess of 40 mph. It is wide enough to be stable in the lakes as they throw up there chop.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 pm

BarraMan's bodacious, beautiful, big, bad, barra boat reminds me of some of the walleye boats I've seen on TV. It began life as a mangusta 20. BarraMan (Lee) scaled it up 10% and forgot to put in the long foredeck and comfy tuck and roll diamond flake upholstery. You, of course, could scale it back down and forget the steering console, as well.

I'm pretty sure most of the powerboat plans sold here could be modified for an open cockpit with tiller steering.

The normal procedure for choosing the correct design is to debate the relative merits of size, performance, seaworthiness, comfort, efficiency and ease of construction, then choose the one you think is prettiest.

Chuck

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I think JM ought to weigh in here. I don't really think any of the boats here are comparable to the Ranger 620T. The Ranger's tend to drop into the water pretty low at rest. The draft of a Ranger at speed is nearly zilch. A Ranger is generally a dihedral hull form. The Abaco is nothing like that from what I've seen in the quick review I did.

I don't know if JM has a dihedral hull like a Ranger rated for 300hp, but the Abaco, as nice as it is, is not the same. And neither is the GP21.

Sorry, but Ranger boats are completely different. They have a low profile in the water; very stable in the water, but I actually don't like the low freeboard of them.

I could be wrong on the Ranger dihedral, but I don't think I am.

Kind regards.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Fallguy I agree the Ranger T620 has their semi-dihedral hull that is the signature for there Multispecies boats. I choose to call it a semi-dihedral hull as these Multispecies boat can handle some pretty nasty water. I choose to compare it to the C19/21 do to its deep interior and about the same draft. Draft for the Ranger is 12" while draft for the C19 is 9". To make the C19/21 closer in shape to the T620 you would need to cut down the bow to make a straight sheer and make a larger front casting deck. After that it is no big deal replicating the T620's interior.

As far as motors go the T620 is limited to a 200HP per the Ranger brochure. That would seem excessive although it is a heavier boat than the C19. The C19 lists a range from 90-150HP and would be better for it. USCG ratings reduce the HP allowed for tiller steering over helm steering. So SMJohnson ask Jacques what HP you would need for a C19T. A Yamaha 115 has been documented on a C19 with a top speed of 42 mph. So it meets your criteria. This would seem ideal for you. A boat that can handle rougher water, plus handle a tiller motor layout. You can lay out your trolling design on the C19/21 per your design wants instead of having a factory design.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

smjohnson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by smjohnson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the responses. I realize non of the boats plans would have a hull quit like the ranger but looking for something with some similarities. I have reviewed the suggested plans and I was thinking the C21 might be an option but after looking at pictures and a little more research I am not even sure about that. The freeboard seems too high. I have read a few posts about reducing the freeboard but can it be reduced enough without compromising the hull strength?

I prefer a boat with shorter freeboard and one that sits a little lower in the water. I would think higher freeboard might work against a guy if you are trying to troll at slow speeds in a cross wind.

My other thought is a majority of the boats in the Midwest used for fishing are not self bailing. I suppose then the floor can be at or below the water level and with a shorter freeboard you can still maintain a decent cockpit depth.

Scott

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:24 am

Look at the Phantom 18.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

smjohnson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by smjohnson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am

Cape Man,

I looked into the Phantoms and they are pretty flat. Thought I saw a couple posts stating the deadrise is 3-4 degrees at the transom. I would like something with at least 12 degrees.

Scott

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

The boats with 12 degree deadrise are the C series and the Mangusta. There would be no problem cutting down the sides of the C21 just maintain all of the frames and other parts that are called for. Check out Barraman's build for how he changed the Mangusta to a fishing boat with an outboard. You would not have to stretch it like he did.

Remember this has to be your boat and what you want. So look at what the final layout you want and pick out the hull that will fit that layout. As long as the structure below the deck remains the same and the frames are 3" wide above the deck you are fine. Remember these hulls are a lot lighter than a Ranger hull. You will not have to use as much HP to get comparable speeds.

I grew up fishing Lake Erie walleyes so sort of know what your looking for. You can customize these boats a lot of ways. Good luck in your choice and have a good build and ask all the questions you have.

Tom

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:37 pm

You can't have self bailing and low freeboard unless it is a surfboard. The two are an oxymoron.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495