FS 18... new builder

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Fyshy
New Poster
New Poster

FS 18... new builder

Post by Fyshy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 am

Hello all,
I have a Gheenoe LT25 that I enjoy fishing in so I was drawn to the looks of the FS18 for my first build. I feel I am fairly handy with tools but I am trying to decide whether to order the kit or just the plans. I would appreciate your comments and tips.
Thank you.
Neal

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS 18... new builder

Post by pee wee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 am

Either way will get you there, however my personal choice is to do all the cutting myself for these reasons:
I enjoy working on and building my boat, all me, so a kit would take away some of the fun.
I want to save money by doing my own cutting and feel there is enough detail in the plans to do so accurately.
I'm not concerned by taking a week or so longer, as I expect the whole project to take at least a year, maybe two to get to splash.

I would get the plywood from here because the quality is high, customer service is great, and the shipping costs are reasonable.

You may want to get the kit because:
You'll have the hull together much quicker which may be very satisfying and a boost of confidence.
You won't make expensive mistakes cutting large parts.
The kit comes with precut interlocking joints, which are strong but difficult to make without a cnc machine.
When taken as a percentage of the complete cost, the premium for getting the parts cut as a kit is minor.

If you go the kit route and wish to do some customization, let them know what parts you don't want cut and they'll ship the ply for you to do that portion of the build. Some extra ply ordered along with the kit may be necessary depending on what you want to build, look carefully at what the standard boat includes.
Hank

Fyshy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Fyshy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Hank.

I am studying the whole fiberglassing process. I would like more experience in this area but I guess sometimes just doing it is the way to get experience. I would imagine that most first time builders are most inexperienced with the glassing part.
Neal

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Well, I’m a complete idiot and I managed to build a hull that floats, performs better than expected, and bounces off of things like a runner ball. If I can “do it rightish” enough anyone that is awake can do it.

That said, the key for the entire build is preparation. Make sure you know what you are going to do each day before you start. MKe sure you have workarea and tool ready. Premeasure and mark everything. And then adjust when all that planning goes up in smoke.

Seriously. It’s not hard. Smart people here are always quick to help. You can do this.

I’d buy the kit. But I’m lazy. ;)

Fyshy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Fyshy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks Jaysen.

I can't dance so building a boat seems like the logical next step.

Neal

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:05 pm

I am almost done with my FS18. It was a first time build for me too. I went with the 1088 Meranti, and bought it all from here. It is amazing wood. The local place near me that sells marine ply sells Fir and it has filled pucks and is heavier. I cut mine myself. It is almost $1000 more for the kit than just the wood (granted the kit has puzzle joints and uses 1088 Okoume) It took about 15hrs of total time to measure, draw and cut the parts. So you have to ask is it worth the money for the savings in time? I did make a mistake cutting the forward deck...Its best to not cut it out until after you have the hull done and flipped over. That way you can scribe the lines and trim for an exact fit. I had to buy a whole other sheet to redo it. There was too much of a gap between the deck and the hull.

That being said I also did the sole in 1/4 inch as the plans specify. I even glassed the wood for stiffness. I used foam under the floor too but there is still a bit of flex. its not bad though and wouldnt be considered a soft spot. If I had to do it again I would use 3/8. There is a discount on ordering 10 sheets through the website. The plans only call for 9 but it almost makes the 10th one free.

as far as fiberglassing goes, if you can mix and measure properly and paint, then its pretty easy.
Last edited by johnstonjosh on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Halfway through boat building I took up ballroom dancing. Let’s jusy say building a boat is easier.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Not matter what way you go I would order a couple extra sheets of plywood. You will end up using them one way or another and I do not think it will make much difference in the shipping cost. Where you live it is a no-brainer to get you wood from here. Do not try to save a few bucks on wood from some other place. You will have way too much time and money invested to try and save money on the wood. Also I would look at the plans and double the amount of epoxy they call for. I know it can be done but everyone seems to end up using more :wink:

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Welcome to the group Neal. A lot of good advice, even if I disagree with most of it. Only kidding! Not knowing what your budget is, I would recommend the CNC kit if you don't feel comfortable with the lay out and cutting, and if you don't have the correct tools and are comfortable using them. I had over 40 years in the home building and remodeling business, plus doing a few complete boat restorations prior to starting my own build, so it all seemed easy to me, but I can understand how people that have no background in wood working, fiberglass work, painting, etc., can be very intimidated. That being said, I really enjoyed the lay out and cutting part, although those puzzle joints are very nice looking, and make me a little jealous. I think you can even order the plywood with puzzle joints, which would make the panel splicing a breeze.... I know Josh had some difficulties with the 1/4" sole because of not getting the foam trimmed off perfectly flush, but on my 3 builds I used 1/4" without any problem, being careful with the trimming, and using plenty of thickened epoxy and weights to glue it down. Nothing wrong with using thicker ply, but if you're looking for a really shallow flats fishing machine I'd try and keep it as light as possible by going with the 1/4" Okoume if you can afford it. If you can afford the Silver Tip epoxy you'll be very happy you did, it's the best product I've ever worked with. I used 10 gallons for my FS18, but I glassed everything, plus finished the bilge baby ass smooth, and built 3 hatches. If you do plan on using the boat for poling the flats, build the low sheer, and you'll be blown away by how amazing this hull performs. You'll be selling that LT25 pretty quick. The FS18 is lighter, stronger, much roomier and more stable, much shallower, an dead quiet and effortless to pole for hours. And just to get you motivated a little more; I was down in Chokoloskee end of February and ran 85 miles in 3 days on 5 gallons with a 20hp Merc. with top speed of 29mph. Not a speed demon, but not too shabby either. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, and good luck with your build. Mike

Fyshy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Fyshy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome and great info. I’m comfortable with wood working but the fiberglass and finishing is a mystery to me. My real problem is actually going to be deciding what boat to build! I have spent the entire weekend considering the FS18, XF20, PH18, and now LM18...
What a great site and looking forward to building a boat!
Thanks all,
Neal