Bass Boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
User avatar
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: Bass Boat

Post by wegcagle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Also, imo if I was going to build a crazy go fast pro-style bass boat I would go for the Mangusta 20, and just modify the shear to a traditional bass boat deck design.

If I was looking for economy (and slow your son down :D) I’d lean more towards the GV15/17 or PH16/18. Both styles have a wider beam which will pound less and be a more comfortable under trolling motor speeds at the cost of top end speed.

Will


Image

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

User avatar
Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Location: Ft Worth, TX

Re: Bass Boat

Post by Grit19 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:05 pm

wegcagle wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Also, imo if I was going to build a crazy go fast pro-style bass boat I would go for the Mangusta 20, and just modify the shear to a traditional bass boat deck design.

If I was looking for economy (and slow your son down :D) I’d lean more towards the GV15/17 or PH16/18. Both styles have a wider beam which will pound less and be a more comfortable under trolling motor speeds at the cost of top end speed.

Will

This is excellent information (on both posts) and exactly the kind of info I value. I don't know these things, so getting insight like this, from the people who have built the boats, is great. I have a lot of tools already. Money is money, but I am more doing this for the experience of building it with my son and the pleasure of using something we made ourselves. It doesn't need to be a pro-style boat. It needs to be something that is easy and fun to use... Sometimes comfort and economy outweigh the biggest and baddest looking machine.
Still deciding what we will do and trying to learn all I can in advance so I can avoid stepping on the rake!

Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bass Boat

Post by BarraMan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 am

wegcagle wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:52 pm
Also, imo if I was going to build a crazy go fast pro-style bass boat I would go for the Mangusta 20, and just modify the shear to a traditional bass boat deck design.
If I was looking for economy (and slow your son down :D) I’d lean more towards the GV15/17 or PH16/18. Both styles have a wider beam which will pound less and be a more comfortable under trolling motor speeds at the cost of top end speed.
Will
Hmmmmm, I can’t disagree with that, and would have suggested the same, but .............. the Mangusta has 18 degrees of dead rise at the transom, which is considerably more “V” bottom than most bass boat style hulls. The concern that many would have with this hull as a bass style boat is its stability at rest.

My boat is a Mangusta 20 hull, upscaled 10%, and built with bass boat style fore and aft casting decks. It is a very stable platform at rest for casting lures, much to the surprise of some of my fishing mates. If you look On my build thread there are some videos of my son and his mates walking along the gunwales (side rails) while fishing.

I didn’t cut down the sheer on my boat because I needs to keep crocodiles at bay, but I think the Mangusta hull would make a great bass style boat. The hull handles very well and is a nimble ski/wakeboard boat.

My boat is big for that style of boat, but I often fish by myself and it is easily managed solo. The Mangusta hull, down-scaled 10% and with a cut-down sheer, would make a very nice “little” boat IMO.

While not set up for outright speed, my 22’ hull is pushed to near 50kts (57 mph) by its 250 hp Yamaha Vmax SHO and has no vices that I have discovered to date. The performance could tamed by common sense or less hp!

Image

User avatar
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: Bass Boat

Post by wegcagle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46 am

If you want to read an amazing example of a bass boat build there was a super guy, Bassmun, who built a PH16 bass boat.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17806&hilit=Bassmun

Will
Image

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 3898
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Kasilof, Alaska

Re: Bass Boat

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Not a bass fisherman and know nothing about it but it sure seems like a GV-15 like Will built would do all you are wanting.

User avatar
Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Location: Ft Worth, TX

Re: Bass Boat

Post by Grit19 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Reading about all the boat builds is a double edged sword: it inspires and scares me at the same time! I am half way through the the build threads for both wegcagle and bassmun. And I'm reading Peter's build stories too--both of them!

It is cool to see all the support and camaraderie that exists here. It is almost like a brotherhood.... Or at least a very cool club.

So let me ask a stupid question: what are the differences between the GV15 and PH16 hulls? I can see the difference in the bow shapes, as well as the differences in LOA and beam.... But are there any differences in how they perform on the water? What are they?

I really appreciate everyone's insight and advice... Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bass Boat

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 am

Grit19 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:57 pm
Reading about all the boat builds is a double edged sword: it inspires and scares me at the same time! I am half way through the the build threads for both wegcagle and bassmun. And I'm reading Peter's build stories too--both of them!
It is cool to see all the support and camaraderie that exists here. It is almost like a brotherhood.... Or at least a very cool club.
So let me ask a stupid question: what are the differences between the GV15 and PH16 hulls? I can see the difference in the bow shapes, as well as the differences in LOA and beam.... But are there any differences in how they perform on the water? What are they?
I really appreciate everyone's insight and advice... Gib
The PH16 is a little longer, a little wider at the transom, a little heavier, can take a bigger outboard - and is a whole lot sexier! :lol:

I suspect is faster and can handle a bit more chop too. :D

User avatar
Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Location: Ft Worth, TX

Re: Bass Boat

Post by Grit19 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 am

Sexy is good. I’m a normal man and appreciate good curves as much as anyone. 8) :lol:

I think it is also fair to say that sexy can be dangerous too... especially as it applies to 16 year old boys!!! :!:

Another valid point to take into consideration as we look into the most appropriate choice for the project.
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

User avatar
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: Bass Boat

Post by wegcagle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am

Agree with the above, narrower in the front, wider in the rear, I’m guessing they are similar in how they ride. As much as it pains me...yes the PH16 is a lot sexier, but like Jimmy Soul says “if you want to be happy for the rest of your life; never make a pretty woman your wife; from my personal point of view; get an ugly woman to marry you.” :lol: :lol: :lol:

The PH 16 comes as a center console with deck in plans. GV15 comes as more of a Jon boat style configuration, and no plans for the CC or bass boat style.

Will
Image

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bass Boat

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Grit19 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:38 am
Sexy is good. I’m a normal man and appreciate good curves as much as anyone. 8) :lol:
I think it is also fair to say that sexy can be dangerous too... especially as it applies to 16 year old boys!!! :!:
Another valid point to take into consideration as we look into the most appropriate choice for the project.
A good handling hull will keep your young bloke as safe as possible on the water. If my boat is anything to go by, then Jacques’ hulls handle well. As I have said above, outboard at the lower end of the recommended horsepower, will tame the outright performance of any boat, and you can always upgrade in the future.

Sexy is good if you hope to be a grandfather one day! :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest