Bass Boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Bass Boat

Post by wegcagle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Agree Barraman!

Mine rides on rails! Half the time I’m driving I don’t even have to keep my hands on the wheel. A well designed boat is an amazing thing :)

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 am

wegcagle wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 am
Agree with the above, narrower in the front, wider in the rear, I’m guessing they are similar in how they ride. As much as it pains me...yes the PH16 is a lot sexier, but like Jimmy Soul says “if you want to be happy for the rest of your life; never make a pretty woman your wife; from my personal point of view; get an ugly woman to marry you.” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will
Tried that my first go around..............I ended up with ugly and MEAN :help:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: That’s a tough combo for sure

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Ha Ha!!! That is a tough combo! Too funny...

Ok Will... you have been very informative and I appreciate that, but I also curse you at the same time! :x

I show up to the community, take a look around at the plans, and am thinking the GP21-BB is for sure what I want to do--I just want to ask a few questions here to make sure of it. Then I read your posts, and start to think :doh: :

"Yeah. He makes a lot of sense. The GV15 will do everything my son needs, it is probably a little easier to build (less fairing and sanding... which I have noticed is the bane for all the boatbuilders here), and will go plenty fast on a smaller (less costly and more fuel efficient) engine. Let's do the GV15, and then I can tackle a bigger project on the next build." …. because I'm sure I will want to do more than one build. :) :idea:

Then you have to go and show me BassMunn's PH16 :| That is a sweet looking boat! And it is about the same size as yours too.

I could get analysis paralysis real quick and my son would be off to college, graduate, get married, and have kids while I'm still on the Bateau website thinking "hmmmm…GV15? PH16? GP21?? which one should I do first?" :lol:

Right now, I'm leaning towards the PH16. I mean, BassMunn got that finished in 2.5 years. It took you almost 7 years for the GV15... so obviously the PH16 build goes a lot faster! Ha ha! Just kidding Will. I've read every word of your build thread too, so I am aware of your story. But you do have a great looking boat. I hope anything I build will be able to look as good.

Thanks for all the good input!
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm

I say split the difference and go for the PH18! See the current bass boat build Namibia PH18 8) :wink:

Will

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 pm

wegcagle wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 pm
A well designed boat is an amazing thing :)

Will
Thanks, I will frame that but a good design is nothing without a good builder and your boat looks fantastic.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 pm

wegcagle wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:35 pm
I say split the difference and go for the PH18! See the current bass boat build Namibia PH18 8) :wink:

Will
That boat and BassMunn's sure put a lot of cool ideas in your (my) head of how to make a cool looking boat!

How much harder is it to build an 18' boat vs at 16' boat? How much more of a pain to sand and fair the extra 2 feet?
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 pm

I doubt more than 20-30 hours of work total. The cost will be in the motor and gas imo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:29 pm

To me the PH18 is the ideal bass boat. It will take you additional time and a larger motor but it is worth it. You may need up to 40 hours more time on it or even more depending how you customize it, By looking at the kit costs of the kit costs of the wood and fiberglass you can figure out the difference in costs

Good luck with your decision I know it is a tough one and this boat will last you a life time.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Grit19, please keep in mind. All of these suggested boats will give you and your son, lighter than production rigs, allowing easier launching, engine cost and hours of pleasure.

Think how many production rigs with 90 hp and higher requiring 24v & 36v trolling motors.

You can do nicely with 12v 54lb trolling motor & one 31 class battery