My daughter wants a boat.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Christer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My daughter wants a boat.

Post by Christer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:55 pm

My daughter wants a boat. She's nearly 7 years old.

Norwegian law dictates that;

a) a person under 16 years of age can, without a boating license, lawfully drive a boat that;
i) has a length of less than 8 meters (~25ft)
ii) has a motor producing maximum 10HP
iii) has a maximum top speed of 10 knots

She will be involved in the build to an extent. Her current plans of involvement is to paint the boat when I've built it for her, and she will pick the outboard for it (she's settled on a 6HP Suzuki 4-stroke as she's currently 6 years old.).

I was playing with the idea of using quality exterior ply and just soak everything in epoxy, but after a think and a few beers, I decided that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. So I'll get marine ply.

This will be a boat that she hopefully will have for many, many years. Ideally, her little brother can use it/have it when she moves on to larger boats later on, so it needs to carry at least two adults, maybe three. I was going to build her a 7-8' dinghy and slap a 2HP motor on it, but she likes going fast, so I want to build something that can take a bigger outboard later down the track and actually go fast.

The boat must be light and possible to haul around using a kayak-style dolly. Car-toppable is a plus, but not a requirement.

Size-wise I'm looking at designs around 11-13ft. Despite the fact that boating in Norway is largely unregulated and the laws are not really enforced, I don't want her to zip around at 25 knots until she's learnt how to handle the boat, use the boat, respect the sea, the weather and other people on the water. That said, the boat needs to move fast enough that it's fun, so an easy-planing hull is required.

The boat should be quick to build - she's not a patient little person. We will probably go for a workboat finish, but my OCD will likely take over and have me sand it to perfection while she sleeps...

The FS12 seems to fit the bill. Any other alternatives?

8ft dinghy built in 1992, BBV sufferer ever since.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: My daughter wants a boat.

Post by Browndog » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm

The Runabout 12 is mighty good looking and with a small engine it would be a nice displacement speed vessel that could grow with the kids and allow a larger engine and more speed as they gain experience and prove responsible.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:33 pm

FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 pm

It sounds like the FS12 is a good match. It can handle up to 3 persons and with a small motor can still plane. When she gets older then you can up grade to the 15hp. It may be a little heavy for kayak style dolly but a dingy dolly could haul it short distances or better would be a small trailer that could be towed.

We use a small boat trailer to hand launch and recover our 15.5' canoe that is very heavy with motor and gear. The winch helps get it up the bank after I replaced the strap with a 50 foot tow line.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:31 am

What about a little trolling motor? I have a hard time imagining a 6 year old starting and handling a 6 horse outboard even though I'm sure you'll be on board supervising.

Dougster

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 am

Hi,
Your daughter is still small but a boat like the RB14 would be something really nice. Have a look at the thread of

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63028&p=422822&hil ... la#p422822

and their building thread

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62658

In her case the daughter was the boat builder but I still think the father did most of the work.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

D/K effect
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by D/K effect » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 am

I started building a boat for my son when he was six. Had it finished for last summer when he was seven.

I’d say go a little smaller then the RB12. Maybe the nutshell 7 or v10 without the sail?

His is an 8 footer with a 5hp. Finished it off to his ever changing specs :D . Pretty much perfect for a 7-10 year old to learn with and easy to move around with a cart.

I used ultraply xl. Which is premium grade flooring underlayment. Held up fine so far. Figure after another two to three years it will be on display for 20+ years till the grand kids are ready for it. So for the limited use the boat will see I didn’t feel the cost of marine ply was worth it.
Last edited by D/K effect on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

D/K effect
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by D/K effect » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 pm

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:55 pm

For a kid to learn to like building; it needs to take shape fast and be easy to conceptualize. Big word, simple meaning.

Build a Nutshell or a Woods Duo or a Crayfish.

Stitch n glue and easy.

You'll have a blast and can tow it behind a bigger boat if it has some vee to the hull.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 am

Chister take a look at the FS12 it has the capacity your looking for with 3 people and can use the 6HP or even less to keep it below the 10Kts and then get a 10 or 12HP to let her zoom around later. https://bateau.com/studyplans/FS12_study.php?prod=FS12

Good luck and it sounds like a neat project for you and your daughter. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978