TW 28

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Wolfgang

TW 28

Post by Wolfgang » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 pm

I m interested to buy a plan of TW28, but I have some questions. As I dont keep 1 engine in the Med. for sure, I intend to use 2 20-25HP inbord diesel engines. Is it possible to build 2 such Lombardini (very common in the Med.) or Yanmars ot Volvo Pentas in? Next thema: as I understand You are offering a kit , so there are cutting files. I am interestet in cutting files, because they would save serious lots of time and all parts would fit. But it is not a practikal way to send some tonns of plywood from the States to Austria and I understand You will not send a kit. But I was told that You will not give cutting files. Others are offering cutting files. It makes it difficult to a potential customer when he has to calculate 200 hours only for drawing and cutting. Do You see a solution for this problem?
Thanks in advance
Wolfgang Thiel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TW 28

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:19 am

Sorry for the late reply, we missed your post.

About the engines: I know the Lombardini's, had one but why twin engines? That boat is designed for a single engine in the box keel. It is almost impossible to fit two engines in there.

For the cutting files: I am the designer and own the copyright of the plans but BBC owns the rights to the cutting files. Years ago, I designed a complete kit in 3D with notches, molds and puzzle joints. It is the same boat but the 3D model is different. I ran those files in Vectric and produced machine specific files.
Cutting files are specific to a certain CNC machine.
The speed, material size, table size, origin, tool turret, bits etc. are all different.
Don't think that you will just enter a CNC file in the machine and push a button.
The BBC CNC files will not work in your machine unless you have the exact same machine.
You would not be able to cut from our files.

To produce CNC files, you must:
- open the 3D model files in CAD and extract DXF files
- open the DXF files in a CNC program and create the CNC path files (it is not automatic)
- transfer the CNC files to the machine.

For you, the solution is simple:
- using the dimensions on the plans, create a CAD file of the parts that you want to cut with your CNC machine. That is easy and fast, probably 5 hours total.
- from your CAD software, extract DXF files for those parts
- enter those DXF files in your CNC software and create CNC paths
- from that software, produce CNC files for your machine.

What CNC machine do you have and what is your CNC path creation software? I use Vectric which is common in Europe but our machine (Shopbot) is rare in Europe.
https://www.vectric.com/applications/mo ... r-cnc.html
Vectric outputs to more than 100 file formats but check with them for compatibility with your machine.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Alternatively, buy the plans and cut the panels yourself as hundreds, probably thousands of othe builders have done in the past! :doh:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

BarraMan wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm
Alternatively, buy the plans and cut the panels yourself as hundreds, probably thousands of othe builders have done in the past! :doh:
Yes, for one boat, it is not worth to go through all the troubles. CNC is fantastic, fats, accurate but not worth it for one boat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm

I would suggest that is IS worth it to buy a CNC kit precut from BBC. But I’m biased as my Lil Bit (v12) was inexpensive enough that he additional cost didn’t really impact the planned budget.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm
I would suggest that is IS worth it to buy a CNC kit precut from BBC. But I’m biased as my Lil Bit (v12) was inexpensive enough that he additional cost didn’t really impact the planned budget.
That is a lot of wood that has to be shipped to Austria.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Well yes. But likely cheaper than the cost of completing a full redraft and cutlist creation.

But I could be wrong. Mrs says it’s a pretty common occurrence.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm
I agree 100%.
I was discussing the value of using your own CNC machine and all that's related to it.
A kit like the TW28 took me a couple hundred hours to design but the builder will save much more labor than that.
And he will also save by not wasting material.

I understand that the cost of shipping is important but we did ship several TW28 kits to Europe.

TheBroomside
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TheBroomside » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Dear Wolfgang,
It would be nice to see another TW28 build. We are enjoying ours since 2014. Ir is really a great boat ( see TW28 Luka in the Builder's power boat section viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13526&start=220).
Where are you located?
It makes sense to buy a CNC kit, it is really a big boat and a lot of work. So a head start makes a difference. It is stimulating to see the hull coming together very fast (but this is perhaps 5% of the building time). We live in Leuven, Belgium. Transport costs from the US were very reasonable ( the same quality of boat grade multiples would have been more expensive here. Actually, the transport by boat from the US to Antwerp was almost cheaper than the transport from Antwerp to Leuven by truck (only 50 km!).
Why two inboard engines? Is it a matter of safety? This I would make sense. Many rivers here have strong tide currents, and one does not want to loose power in those circumstances. It is does happen now and then to catch something in the screw here (we did twice...). So we also carry a 5hp outboard at the stern. Actually it is interesting to note that the 5 hp outboard will push the TW28 at 8-9 km /hr while the 42 hp inboard diesel will push the boat no faster than 13km/hr because of the displacement hull.
Good luck with your build, keep us informed, we like to see a lot of pictures

Peter
LUS

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks Peter.
I have been to Belgium a few times since we last met and at my next visit, I hope you will show me the Stoere Meid.