De25 for offshore?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: De25 for offshore?

Post by Matt Gent » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 pm

As stated above, I do not have tabs. Need to install some but too many projects going. I think they will really help for the greater use of our boating in inland waterways / intracoastal / Keys. The ride is better when I put a lot of weight forward: liquids, kicker, cooler.

The boat doesn't have a clearly defined planing speed so that is hard to answer. The economy improves right around 18mph so I'd call that planing. The bow only rises a few degrees and you can run at literally any speed. I've spent many hours crossing the gulf stream at 12-14mph, just below the speed which would initiate slamming. Conditions I wouldn't want to be at all in a 20' open boat, but are manageable at slower speeds in the DE.

My log has speed/rpm/mpg plots, but that is all on smooth water. Deduct 0.5-1mpg for heavy trip load, and another 0.5 for running in heavy seas.

At 6-8 seconds and 3-4 feet that is more like a swell than a wind driven chop, and the boat would likely cruise along at or near planing speed. You do not want to be anywhere near launching off the crests.

If you ever make it to South Florida I'll give you a ride. We spent last Thanksgiving cruising coastal GA (St. Mary's / Cumberland / Darien) and had a great time.

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:48 am

Ipwebb - have you considered the GS 28?

It will plane with a single Yamaha 85 2 -stroke at 16 kts - I know because we have tested it on Payan's GS 28; it is also a great boat off-shore; very fuel efficient and I believe often overlooked on this forum. We have spent many hours off-shore in it and I think that if you rigged up a "tent" like this beautiful Dorado 30 you might have everything you are looking for ...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 am

TomTom, do you have pictures of the GS28?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Jacques ... I have told Payan to post some more pictures!! ... these are the only ones that I have ... remember he modified the sides quite substantially from the plans ...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am

Very nice, thank you.
I forgot about his customization but I like what he did. The boat looks good.
Thanks again for posting the pictures.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm

TomTom wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm
Hi Jacques ... I have told Payan to post some more pictures!! ... these are the only ones that I have ... remember he modified the sides quite substantially from the plans ...

Beautiful rig.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Was it re-propped down in pitch from the twin setup to plane on the single 85? That boat must be pretty light, those 3cyl yamahas are pretty low on torque - I had one for a few years.

I didn't know any of these had been built. BBC really should get as many as-built pics up on the plans pages, its a big selling point.

I think a Dorado 30 is my next big project, if I can find a beat up one cheap enough. There is already a market of people rebuilding them on the west coast of FL, project boats are hard to find. D30 with a pilot house & forward cabin would resolve a lot of the limitations of the DE25 at a modest increase in fuel consumption, though I'd need a bigger tow vehicle.

For running in wind-driven waves offshore, the deadrise at station 3 or 4 from the bow is what sees the impact. Dorado is very sharp up there; GS28 is in the middle, and the DE25 is quite full.

TomTom
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by TomTom » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:50 pm

No changes to the prop - u just lift one engine out and put the throttle to the wall on the other one ... I was amazed the first time...