De25 for offshore?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: De25 for offshore?

Post by BB Sig » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 am

It sounds like you know what you want and Jacques said it would work! Post LOTS of pictures!!! :lol:

Where are you in Georgia?

lpwebb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lpwebb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:34 am

Topwater,

what don’t you like about the NV 23? How fast can you run in 3 to 4s at 6 a six second period?

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 am

I like the boat just fine but in a close space chop you are going to have to slow down. Out in the gulf with a ground swell no problems
but when they start to stand up you have to slow down.
Novi 23 finally launched !

lpwebb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lpwebb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am

When you say slow down how slow do you mean?

Barely planing?

Do you use trim tabs?

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:38 am

Good to have another Georgia person on the Forum. There are a few of us along the Georgia Coast. Good luck with your boat search.

For the rest of y’all, along the 110 mile Georgia Coast there is a lot of inshore areas to fish between the mainland and the 15 Barrier Islands. Only 4 of the islands are accessible by road, the rest are only accessible by boat. As a result the area is very sparsely developed compared to the states to the North & South. The coast is very fertile and fairly pristine with 35% of the remaining salt marsh on the East coast contained within the 110 miles of Georgia’s Coast. It is too cold in the winter for Mangroves to survive, so we have large areas of Spartina Marsh grass flats. The nearshore reefs are 2-20 miles off the beach. The Snapper Banks is the name for the live bottom areas that are 35-40 miles off the beach. To get to Blue Water and the Gulf Stream is a 70-80 mile run one way.

Georgia is the furthest state West along the Eastern Seaboard and the shape of the coastline funnels the water towards us causing the second highest tides in Eastern North America. Daily tide fluctuations are 7-9 ft, with an occasional 10 footer thrown in. Strong Northeast winds cause even higher tides as do storms like tropical depressions and Hurricanes.

What does all this mean? The sand bar you have lunch on will be under 8 feet of water by dinner time. The tides create a lot of current. When the wind is blowing against the current it can get choppy. When the tide turns it can go from being flat to choppy pretty quickly.

The sea floor also slopes very gently to the East. Despite being 35-40 miles offshore the Snapper Banks are only in 120 feet of water.

Fishing & Boating around here is very tide dependent. Shoal draft is needed to negotiate the inshore areas. Due to the big tides, most boats are kept on a trailer or boat lift and over head lifts are used to put boats in the water more often than boat ramps.

The most popular boat around here for inshore fishing is a flat bottom skiff. Very shallow draft, lots of capacity, but pounds terribly in any kind of chop. Very wet too when it’s windy or choppy.

The offshore boys are now mostly using 30-36 foot deep V center consoles with multiple outboard engines and lots of bow flare. Fast and dry and able to handle changing conditions, not so good for inshore though due to their deeper draft. Still trailerable and as large and heavy as an overhead lift can handle.

Very hard to have one boat that can do it all but more bay boats in the 21-25 foot range are showing up.

Personally, I’ve got an 18 foot Egret flats skiff for inshore work and a 24ft deep V Sportcraft with a Walkaround cabin, hardtop and full curtains for near and offshore work.

Of the plans here, I believe the 23 Abaco, 25 CS series, the 25 Panga or the 28 Gulfstream X are the best options for offshore. The last three can be built with a small cabin.

Happy to help out any way I can.

Matt Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 am

lpwebb wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am
Would like to be able to go out and fish when the weather forecast says 3 to 4 seas with a decent period.
What is a "decent period" to you?

The boat is very safe offshore: high gunnels, closed transom, high enough sole in cockpit, doesn't take water over the bow, dry in the cabin, lip around the cockpit. It is a champ in following seas: big keel, very full forward, and fully decked over bow. It never thinks about broaching. I've buried the bowsprit over and over again.

It is not comfortable in head or front-quartering seas that have steep faces, at almost any wave height. Its basically a skiff bottom: low deadrise carries well forward, and the entry is not fine at all. I do not have tabs, and plan to add them, but that will only help in smaller chop like for intracoastal trips.

I've had to run back to shore a few times through FL afternoon thunderstorms that produce very steep, 3-4' wind-driven waves, with 2-4 second period. This slows me down to 6 knots or less over ground to avoid constant slamming. It gets old real fast when there is no other option on where to go. Twice I've picked a different inlet to run to just to change the angle of the seas relative to my progress.

I have never felt unsafe, though my girlfriend would say differently. I've always been dry, and always made it home in one piece. Its not a great option for wanting to go fast offshore. That would want a deep-V, more weight, and more power.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:46 am

Browndog: EXCELLENT description of the environment on the coast.
I harken back to the wise question of our leader, Jacques, at the top of this thread:
What does offshore mean for you? Where and what conditions?
For what it's worth, the CG around here issues a small craft advisory for seas 5' and more with periods equal to their height--what many mariners call "square" waves. That's not going to be fun in most small vessels (in other words, anything you or I will probably own), and could be dangerous if you got beam-to, which is why the advisory. I myself am a sailor and pretty conservative. I've crossed oceans and know that seas aren't, like, out of a textbook, and neither, probably more importantly, are weather forecasts. You can have a five-foot wind wave from one direction on top of a ten-foot swell from another. I've been in situations where there were three different seas that decided to have a get-together at my location.

As the result of all this I myself--a coward, to be sure--would not venture offshore with only one engine in a flat-bottomed boat, and moreover, not an outboard. In any reasonable sea, the prop will quickly find itself out of the water. No prop, no propulsion, no propulsion, no steering.
Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:47 am

Shallow draft semi displacement beachable catamaran!

Great post Browndog!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Agree fully, great post Browndog!!! Jeff

lpwebb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lpwebb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Matt

To me a decent period would be 6 to 8 seconds or longer. For 3 to 4 foot.

Do you have trim tabs? How slow can you stay on plane with the bracket?