FS 17 BOM

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Duckworth
New Poster
New Poster

Re: FS 17 BOM

Post by Duckworth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 am

Wow, just checked that link. Work of art!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:48 am

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your decision to build a boat.

The FS17 has been built in many variations and documented well on the forums build threads with lots of pictures in the gallery to fuel your imagination as you begin your planning.

I built the FS 19 which is a slightly larger version and can attest to the hull’s sea keeping abilities. The hull planes at relatively low speeds and has a great ride. I would suggest adding the optional spray rails as they ensure an extremely dry ride.

Good luck on your project.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:50 am

Welcome to the Builder's Forum!!! Jeff

Duckworth
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Duckworth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Browndog,

Thank you very much for the info regarding the sea keeping ability of this design, very useful, especially regarding the spray rails as dry riding was going to be my next question.

I will have to get over to the builds to take a closer look.

Has anyone made their vessel self bailing? I am unsure if the sole is above the waterline to enable this?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:36 pm

The study plans tell what weight the waterline is calculated at, if I remember it is around 1450lbs and the basic to plans built boat is 350lbs
The designated waterline is the top of the stringers/bulkheads and bottom of the sole, assuming that weight at the top of the sole gives you an extra 'fudge' factor.

I have holes above my sole for self draining, but will also be able to plug them. My guess is it will only be self draining at rest with one or fewer people on board considering how the weight can shift with any walking around.
You can see my build by following the link in my signature. (won't know till spring personaly how it all works on the water though :) )

Duckworth
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Duckworth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Narfi, thanks for those links!

Gentlemen thank you so much for all of your input, very much appreciated, I wasn't prepared for it! My confidence is growing.