Xf 20 strength uses and mods

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here

Xf 20 strength uses and mods

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 pm

I am new here and trying to decide if the xf 20 could be used as a work boat for my commercial fishing. I am in love with the idea of the weight of the finished boat. With my 40 hp tiller outboard, and the hull weight, it should be between 600 to 700 lbs. I currently hand pull a 17' McKee craft with a 130hp Honda 4 stroke through 1000 hooks, or a little over a mile of mainline.my current rig is 1700 to 2000 lbs before any catch is aboard. I average between 500-1000 lbs catch weight each day I fish. I can't find a boat builder around anymore, another dying occupation. All the commercially avail platforms I've considered are too weighty, so I'm down to building my own. I've done plenty of construction work from furniture to a timber frame room addition, so I'm not scared of the project. I just don't know enough about engineering to figure a boat builder out. Does anybody have any knowledge of the weight carrying abilities of this hull design? I know and accept the flat bottom ride. I'm searching for a stable pickup truck for the water. Thank yall in advance for your help and input.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Xf 20 strength uses and mods

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am

That is the XF20 Red Alert in Texas. On the forum somewhere, there is another picture of that boat in Florida with more people, 20+.
Capacity is not a problem at the dock, the XF20 will not sink BUT she is designed as a light boat and should not run at full speed or in a shop with such a load.
The weight that is listed in the study plans is for the original version, a light boat with no sole, stringers are apparent. That version is fine for inshore fishing with up to 4 persons.
Most builders go for the sole version which is stronger but heavier: around 600 lbs for a finished hull.
It is still not a work boat.
I designed a version with more frames and stringers, same XF20 but stronger structure. I can include those drawings in a plans package but the weight will again increase.
Later, I designed the XF22 as a guide boat: made to take up to 6 persons and designed for professional use. It is a much stronger hull, still shallow but again, heavier and more costly to build.
Look at the study plans:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/StudyPla ... ?prod=XF22.

The XF22 is a larger redesigned XF20 with an egg crate structure but I focused on weight: lots of lightening holes and thin ply wherever possible. Built with an Okume ply core by a good builder, the hull weight could be kept around 600 lbs. The plans list a heavy duty versions with a hull that is about 800 lbs.

With 1,000 lbs of fish plus the ice plus lots of gear, I would not pick a light hull.You are going to have a minimum displacement of 2,000 lbs, maybe 3,000. 200 lbs difference in the hull is less than 10% of the total weight but you will have a stronger hull.
Alos, take in account that many builders end up with a heavier boat than what I calculate because they use heavier wood than Okume, add a layer of glass here and there and use much more resin than necessary.
I would build either the XF20 sole version with heavy duty reinforcements or build the XF22.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:33 pm

Have you considered an OD18 or (larger) the HM19 with no superstructure? Should ride a little better than the XF20 and if anything tougher. The HM19 has a 18mm (3/4") bottom plus the glass.

You don't say where you fish; that could effect things.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your boat building project.

Another good choice to consider might be the GP-21. It is a very versatile boat and can be laid out a variety of ways. It also will likely have a better ride in a chop than the XF series.

Frans old man
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Frans old man » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am

Thank you all for the replies and help. I fish the Albemarle sound and adjoining rivers, and the Pamlico sound. I guess I am getting older and wishing for a perfect world. I have come to realize why there are no old fisherman on the water here. Guess I was hoping someone may have figured out something that would have made my life on the water a bit easier/career longer. Thanks again for the input.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Best way to have a longer and easier career as a commercial fisherman is to win the lottery and move to Kansas. :help: :lol:

CatfishHunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CatfishHunter » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Frans old man wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am
Thank you all for the replies and help. I fish the Albemarle sound and adjoining rivers, and the Pamlico sound. I guess I am getting older and wishing for a perfect world. I have come to realize why there are no old fisherman on the water here. Guess I was hoping someone may have figured out something that would have made my life on the water a bit easier/career longer. Thanks again for the input.
I've fished out of hertford, the albermarlie and the pamlico and out of an xf20... just finished building mine. The xf20 is a great shallow water skiff but would beat you to death on the rivers and tributaries in that area...

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:48 am

CatfishHunter wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:08 pm
I've fished out of hertford, the albermarlie and the pamlico and out of an xf20... just finished building mine. The xf20 is a great shallow water skiff but would beat you to death on the rivers and tributaries in that area...
Maybe one of the Garvey hulls, a GP21 or scaled up GV17, might be a better choice.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:12 am

I was searching for this pic of Red Alert, a very nice XF 20, running 14 miles out to Cape Sable with at least 1500 pounds of gear and two guys. Not sitting at the dock. It ran faster than my OD 18 on this trip (which was also loaded to the gills). The one thing is that the tunnel loses efficiency, and he burnt a LOT of gas going out. If you aren't running in ankle deep water, you can build it without the tunnel and get better mileage.

[mg]http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... G_1092.JPG[/img]
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 am

Here's the one Jacques was looking for from Boca Grande. 19, not 20... 8)

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman