BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5416
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:44 pm
While I have never been on one the Pangas being able to slow down and still be pretty good on fuel sure appeals to me.
Being able to slow down and still remain on step is tough to do. And slowing down is the only thing I have found to soften the ride. The boat I fish the most has about 17 degrees deadrise and is 22 foot long. It has to be going 17-18mph to be on step and even at that speed I have had it beat the crap out of me.
This is why displacement hulls are so much better for this poster's situation.

You can basically slow way down in the crap.

Now, something contradictory. Richard told me his boats do a bit better in the crap going about 10-16 knots. He says slower and they sort of struggle. It will be interesting to see if they will troll in 4 foot waves.


My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 6519
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:23 am
Location: Kasilof, Alaska

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by Fuzz » Tue May 05, 2020 9:28 pm

His larger boat is 27 foot and deep V. I am guessing that running 10-16 in lumpy water keeps the boat from rolling so much and that makes for a better ride.

User avatar
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am
Location: MOBILE, AL

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

BarraMan wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:04 pm
. lol The Mangusta 20 fits pretty well but man it's HUGE
How do you figure that? My boat is based on the Mangusta 20 hull. I upscaled it 10% - at 22’ x 8’ I t’s BIG but not huge. With its 18 degrees of deadrise at the transom, it is a big fast excellent handling soft riding boat. My mates love it! We generally travel 30 - 40 nm of sheltered and open water to where we fish.

If you want a soft ride in a powerboat you need length and deadrise!
The hull on its strong backs is HUGE if you look at it from the eyes of a disabled person. lol.. It is daunting, I read your entire build in one night along with a couple of others. You did a fantastic job. The major downside to that hull from my standpoint is the power requirements. It is a beautiful hull and really reminds me of the 20ft Bert in many ways.

If I could count on my brother or a friend or two to help I wouldn't hesitate to build one. But also comes the power required to make the most of that hull. Where I live has a great deal of open water where it would thrive.

Again, you did a fantastic and inspirational job that was very well documented and I do thank you for that.

User avatar
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am
Location: MOBILE, AL

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:20 pm

jacquesmm,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out in this process ONCE AGAIN.

Given my original post can we discuss a couple of points/ideas. I continue to go through your designs and layouts all the while thinking of the usage of my next boat. I also look into this build with the thought of helping other potential builders in mind. If you'll remember (and I'm not at all being smug) but when I built my OB15 none at the time had been built with the bow being cut down some and fully decked like a flats skiff. You and I were unsure how to go about it in such a way that other builders could duplicate the same results I got. Had my physical conditions not worsened I might be content building an OB18 and incorporating the changes I made to the OB15 to that hull and this might still be an option if I can figure out how to make it longer with the same width an OB21 if you will. I digress...

Having said all that could we please look into two different hulls that I feel might be the answer the ST21 Seabright Tunnel and the PG22 with my intent and requirements in mind.

The interior layout of the ST21 is as near perfect as pictured with very little if any changes. My questions about this hull are:

Built with an outboard is it possible to mount the engine to the transom using the space shown in the plans for a live well?

Putting the fuel tank in the location where the inboard diesel would normally go?

Unless I am missing where it's stated in the study plans (highly likely) what is the expected draft with an outboard @ MAX hp? I see the draft listed at a given weight.

The PG22 also fits well with my needs. However, I'm wondering what some deadrise to the transom would help? I suppose put another way. How, much deadrise in a hull like the PG22 would lessen it 'pounding' at speed? I understand I can lessen the pounding in a 2-3ft chop by slowing down and putting the bow more into the chop. One of the photo's in the study plans show a boat with one passenger whos attitude is drastically different than other boats underway. I'm guessing this builder located more weight forward. The way that boat rides to me is more correct than the other built boats underway. Most of the boats show about 1/3 of the hull out of the water which negate the purpose of this hull having such a fine entry.

Again, thank you for your valuable time.
Scott Godwin

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5416
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:23 pm

Sorry, but no way do I want to ride a panga in 2 footers.. The boat has a fine entry and narrow beam and essentially rides the waves up and down and a tunnel boat is built for shallow water. It is even narrower. Both hulls are ultralight and have no force down to part the seas.

I have not been on either, but I don't find either one to be a comfy ride in the crud based on my experience in boats.

Another boat that would ride nice is the Harbor Master or the Harbor Master Displacement. The displacement version is more economical, but rather slow. If you don't have the time for 5-6 knots; consider the Non displacement Harbor Master; otherwise the HMD19 is a great option I'd say.

Also, perhaps the OD18 would perform well in a chop.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

User avatar
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am
Location: MOBILE, AL

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:32 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Sorry, but no way do I want to ride a panga in 2 footers.. The boat has a fine entry and narrow beam and essentially rides the waves up and down and a tunnel boat is built for shallow water. It is even narrower. Both hulls are ultralight and have no force down to part the seas.

I have not been on either, but I don't find either one to be a comfy ride in the crud based on my experience in boats.

Another boat that would ride nice is the Harbor Master or the Harbor Master Displacement. The displacement version is more economical, but rather slow. If you don't have the time for 5-6 knots; consider the Non displacement Harbor Master; otherwise the HMD19 is a great option I'd say.

Also, perhaps the OD18 would perform well in a chop.
No disrespect fallguy, but neither of those boats fit with any fishing or layouts I like. I don't at all care for a flatbottom boat. But thanks for your input. I don't see how a flatbottom boat would handle chop better than a Panga especially for someone with a really bad back.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5416
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 pm

The hmd is the one I meant...sorry for the confusion
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

User avatar
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1633
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 1:00 am
Location: MOBILE, AL

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 pm
The hmd is the one I meant...sorry for the confusion
I'm not sure if you started at the beginning of this post? I cant see how any of the hulls you suggest could fit in with a bay/protected water fishing boat to an offshore fishing boat on a nice calm day. :doh: :doh: or I'm missing something. I'll be drift fishing for seatrout in late fall/winter in rivers in 2ft of water to fishing the bays in warmer months for seatrout, redfish, tripletail, and flounder. On nice clear calm days moving offshore up to 25-30 miles for reef/wreck fishes. All of the hulls I've suggested in earlier posts have either center console or tiller steer options in the 20 odd foot range with a narrowish beam. The OD18 is a flat bottom which to me would beat my back to bits, and the HMD19 is another dory style boat with substantial rocker with a full cabin.

In a perfect world, one of the Panga's (above 20ft) with about the same transom deadrise as an OB15/OB18 would soften up the ride in chop, lowish HP requirements (around 50-70hp), and give a decent speed on calm days to get far enough offshore and not burn as much fuel as an MG20 or other wider boat with large HP requirements.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 5416
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building anothera

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 am

FLYonWALL9 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 am
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 pm
The hmd is the one I meant...sorry for the confusion
I'm not sure if you started at the beginning of this post? I cant see how any of the hulls you suggest could fit in with a bay/protected water fishing boat to an offshore fishing boat on a nice calm day. :doh: :doh: or I'm missing something. I'll be drift fishing for seatrout in late fall/winter in rivers in 2ft of water to fishing the bays in warmer months for seatrout, redfish, tripletail, and flounder. On nice clear calm days moving offshore up to 25-30 miles for reef/wreck fishes. All of the hulls I've suggested in earlier posts have either center console or tiller steer options in the 20 odd foot range with a narrowish beam. The OD18 is a flat bottom which to me would beat my back to bits, and the HMD19 is another dory style boat with substantial rocker with a full cabin.

In a perfect world, one of the Panga's (above 20ft) with about the same transom deadrise as an OB15/OB18 would soften up the ride in chop, lowish HP requirements (around 50-70hp), and give a decent speed on calm days to get far enough offshore and not burn as much fuel as an MG20 or other wider boat with large HP requirements.
A displacement hull would not beat you up. I was mistaken on the planing versions and said so.

If you want to go 20 miles though; the hmd is also not workable as it is way too slow.

I simply don't agree that a Panga or shallow tunnel boat will do it either.

You do need to understand; stitch n glue plywood boats are very light; they are not wave parting tanks. The wave parting tanks are old Bertrams.

My hulls happen to be wave parting as well. A two foot sea won't affect the boat, but it will have a quick motion.

Another thing you can do is spend more money on very good chair. My favorite boat builder is safehaven marine. They have seats to deal with pounding. My back has been bugging me for about two days now.

I bought the LB26 plans because I figured I could get a decent ride from it, but the Nina would also do it.

Another boat that would work and be extremely great for fishing and also safe in 9 foot seas is the Skoota 18. It would wave cut and be very unaffected by a small chop.

It would pound you do death at the wrong speed in a heavy head sea, but you'd have to learn its limits.

Of all the boats we have discussed, the Skoota 18 would be my top choice for an excellent fish platform and room for a porta potty for the long run.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by rick berrey » Fri May 08, 2020 2:12 pm

I used to think a flat bottom boat would be OK for Mobile bay or the Delta , that was until I put in close to four years working on the river every day rain , fog , or shine in 24' to 26' Carolina skiffs . You can't beat a Cape Horn as an all around boat for our waters , but my back is bad , and I don't like to get wet anymore . I have also looked at the panga,s for our waters , I think you are on the right track . The problem is the hp to push them , I no longer want or need to go that fast in choppy water . There are plans for displacement panga,s by the U.N , they have been discussed here before , the beam would have to be modified may be beyond what the plans allow for depending on the length boat . A Displacement panga would work for most of our area given the boat could be towed . How far we could range from Dixie bar and still beat the weather getting around the point if needed is a downside . Three sisters would be a 6 hr trip in a 20' displacement boat , putting you at some risk in a squall . I would think a displacement panga would need to be 25' with a cuddy for me to make a trip to three sisters in it . A simi disp panga with a 40 hp would do the trick for me .

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest