BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building anothera

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:18 am
FLYonWALL9 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 am
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 pm
The hmd is the one I meant...sorry for the confusion

You do need to understand; stitch n glue plywood boats are very light; they are not wave parting tanks.

Another boat that would work and be extremely great for fishing and also safe in 9 foot seas is the Skoota 18. It would wave cut and be very unaffected by a small chop.

It would pound you do death at the wrong speed in a heavy head sea, but you'd have to learn its limits.

Of all the boats we have discussed, the Skoota 18 would be my top choice for an excellent fish platform and room for a porta potty for the long run.
Yeah, know how these stitch n glue boats behave in a chop. I built the 1st decked like a flats boat OB15 in 2004-2005 and have a build around here someplace.

In NO WAY would I attempt to build a Skoota 18 for fishing in a bay to catch inshore species or my short trips offshore, FAR too much boat above the waterline to make it an effective inshore fishing boat. Aside from that as I stated in one of the other replies I'm disabled. So, a 300-600 hour build simply isn't realistic. If I were to build a multihull or tunnel boat to suit my needs it would be more along the lines of a Liberator 20 or an Eliminator 21. A Skoota would act as a sail if you were trying to drift fish.

Again, no disrespect but none of the suggestions you've made would suit the type of fishing I do. The waters I fish aren't always choppy, I'm just wanting a boat that can handle chop in the event conditions change forcing me to cross our open bay to get back to the launch as comfortable as possible.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: BEEN A LONG TIME thinking of building another

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:18 pm

rick berrey wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:12 pm
I used to think a flat bottom boat would be OK for Mobile bay or the Delta , that was until I put in close to four years working on the river every day rain , fog , or shine in 24' to 26' Carolina skiffs . You can't beat a Cape Horn as an all around boat for our waters , but my back is bad , and I don't like to get wet anymore . I have also looked at the panga,s for our waters , I think you are on the right track . The problem is the hp to push them , I no longer want or need to go that fast in choppy water . There are plans for displacement panga,s by the U.N , they have been discussed here before , the beam would have to be modified may be beyond what the plans allow for depending on the length boat . A Displacement panga would work for most of our area given the boat could be towed . How far we could range from Dixie bar and still beat the weather getting around the point if needed is a downside . Three sisters would be a 6 hr trip in a 20' displacement boat , putting you at some risk in a squall . I would think a displacement panga would need to be 25' with a cuddy for me to make a trip to three sisters in it . A simi disp panga with a 40 hp would do the trick for me .
Rick,

Yeah, I'm with you on the on the Cape Horn provided we are talking the newer ones, the boats in the late 90s-early 2000s was just about like taking a shower and could pound in certain conditions.

Honestly, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the PG22. jacquesmm sent me a set of plans to look over way back when the PG's were designed so I have a better idea what I would be getting into. At that time my back was worsening and before I had any work done on it. I knew I was unable to build at that time so I shipped them back. I would be fishing 60-70% of the time in the bays and rivers with a handful of days offshore. I may look into the othere hulls you mentioned, I haven't seen those. I'm very glad Jacques polled us back in the day when he was designing the PG's making them look more like the Caribiana's that were built in Foley at the time vs the UGLY Panga's of Mexico. Those other Panga's you mentioned and some of the other DIY built Panga's, did they have any transom deadrise to them, or do you remember?

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 am

My Skoota is gonna have AP and it has a Sabiki mode where you can hold or you can set course to move slowly, so basically the windage is less an issue.

That said, the Skoota 18 is a great boat and could easily be drift bagged. But I like fishing a bunch and I get you on the drifting thing. I'd rather be in it than a Panga 25 miles from home on any water. Just sayin.

Best of luck.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 am

A 25 would be even better if you could make it work with something like a swing tongue trailer. If not I would not get too hung up on deadrise. Being able to still plane and maybe sitting close to the stern might be the ticket.
I went and checked three boats I have a lot of time on. 20 foot with 18 degree deadrise. 21 foot with 11. 22 foot with 14. All three have brackets and outboards. The 20 is the smoothest riding with the other two being close. The problem is the 20 and 22 both need to be running 20 or more to stay on step. Anything slower and every wave knocks them off step. And at times 20 is just too fast to be comfortable. The 21 being flatter will stay on top down to the low teens so it ends up being the most comfortable by a long shot.
I did not see Fallguys reply when I posted this.

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Sat May 09, 2020 8:27 pm

FLYonWall , I was talking about the back in the 90,s Cape Horns , a 16' would get you anywhere and bring you back home as long as you had enough gas . I have never heard of a hull cracking on one , but back,s are another story , they were a young mans boat , and should have had slickers come standard with every sale . I don't know if the FAO boats show a dead rise , should on the plans , you can search for FAO boats and download the plans for free . The 7.4 m would be the range you are looking at about 23' + without the tiller . Speed is listed at 6.5 knots , still too slow unless an outboard would push it a little faster . I think it would need to be 12 to 15 mph to give a 2hr offshore range which would put in plenty of good fishing spots . I have always loved the Nina 22 , the one built with the cabin is nice , I just don't know how the tunnel will act in our waters , and I'm not sure about the hp needed to push it . I will retire to the Ft Morgan area and would like to stay around 40hp or less , will fish bay and bar mostly .

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:40 pm

What is the panga 22 deadrise? The l/b is good for ride, but I don't know the d.r.

Perhaps I am wrong about it.

At 17 degrees; it'd be a bit low, at say 21 degrees quite
Good and the only thing to do would be to get an air ride for the helmsman.

Lotsa back trouble..part of the reason I went to the Skootas was for ride comfort fow..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun May 10, 2020 9:14 am

My Nina 22 runs 18 mph with her 30 horse etec. Never been in a really big chop but little stuff is easy on her for sure. I built the cabin model with a ply roof. Canvas would make more sense 'cuz it would be nice to be able to move to the bow when fishing. Lately I've been wondering if a big Minn Kota self deploy troll motor would work.

Dougster

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Sun May 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks Dougster , those are good numbers , 18 mph would work . " Would it handle big chop " would be my next question , it can be a rough ride getting out the bay into the gulf here . Fallguy1000 , I like the Skoota , but I don't want that much windage for a fishing boat . If there is a squall line between me and shelter I want to be able to drop anchor , and ride it out in the dry .

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon May 11, 2020 7:59 am

I don't get to the coast often, mostly have had it in local lake, so unfortunately never in a big chop. One day I crossed the bay and there was some chop, maybe a foot and a half or so, maybe more, can't remember. No issues head on. Coming back, the chop was off my stern quarter and she did seem to "trip" slightly a couple of times. Minor though. I slowed down to 12 mph and that was quite comfortable. In fact, she cruises well at 12mph, with nice quiet engine noise and I prefer it. Maybe you could look up Spokaloo's old comprehensive Nina thread here. He is quite knowledgeable and would be great to get in contact with.

Dougster