Phantom 16/18

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
henry26
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Phantom 16/18

Post by henry26 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm

In a year or two, I'm planning on building a Phantom. I'm brand new to this forum and boat building. I have a few questions about the boat and boat building in specific.
1. This is very broad, but how do you build flush fiberglass hatches like the ones you see on production boats? Reading through many of the Phantom builds on here, most people use plastic hatches. I guess what I'm really asking is how to you make the place where the hatch rests? I assume the hatch itself is just glassing a piece of marine ply.
2. What exactly is included in the CNC kit? For example, if I did do flush hatches is that material included in the kit? Also if a console is included in the kit but I wanted to a different one could I have that included in the kit?
3. How could I do a livewell with a round Acrylic lid? I was thinking of doing this in the center of the back deck. Also relating to the livewell, Do you put in a box inside of where the livewell will be or is there a way to make your own with the plywood that is watertight?
Thank you in advance and sorry for asking all of these questions. I'm still dreaming.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Phantom 16/18

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Read over this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16798 It is a bit long but it will show just what can be done. And welcome to the group. Ask questions when you have them. :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Reading is your friend - and you have time to read a lot before you start! I think the answers to all three of your questions lie within these pages. There are some very clever and creative builders here. Welcome to the forum! :D

henry26
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by henry26 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Thank you Fuzz for that thread. I've been reading it and it is really great. One thing that hasn't been answered (so far) is what is included in the CNC kit. Is it just the hull or does it include more?
BarraMan wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:59 pm
Reading is your friend - and you have time to read a lot before you start! I think the answers to all three of your questions lie within these pages. There are some very clever and creative builders here. Welcome to the forum! :D
True that haha. I can at least think about it :D.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Reach out to Jeff and Reid for exact details. Normally the kit comes with what you need to build the boat to the base plan. I know that the CNC kits can be customized to support “options” provided in the plans.

I would buy the plans, decide which options you want, them have Jeff price or for you.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

henry26
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by henry26 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Reach out to Jeff and Reid for exact details. Normally the kit comes with what you need to build the boat to the base plan. I know that the CNC kits can be customized to support “options” provided in the plans.

I would buy the plans, decide which options you want, them have Jeff price or for you.
I appreciate your response Jaysen, very helpful. That sounds like a plan. So I can have them make the cuts for the hatch lids or whatever I decide.

Also wanted to mention that I think I know what I will do for the inside of the hatches/livewell. I've been seeing people make them using PVC sheet material and welding that together. Is there any reason I couldn't do this or there is a better or easier method?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 pm

The plans/cnc would Normally not include hatches. Those you would need to do on your own. For them to do that, they would need to change the CNC cut files for each kit. Jeff and Reid may say otherwise these days. Won’t hurt to ask them.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

henry26
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by henry26 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Ah ok. But you're saying if I wanted to change something in the actual hull design they would do it. I don't think I will unless I get too fed up between 16 and 18 feet that I decide to make it 17 :help:. Thank you.
I've been doing some more research on the inside of the hatches and I couldn't find pvc sheet material anywhere online but what i did find was Tempress hatch liners which may be good for the back deck.
From what i'm assuming, to make the place where the hatch rests so it's flush you need a router. Is that correct?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Yes. Or creativity. Look for hatches by Seaslug. He shows an method that you might like.

I thought Jeff had hatches available. Might want to give him a call.
Jaysen wrote:

henry26
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by henry26 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you for linking me to seaslug's hatches. They look great.
Could someone inform me what the differences are between a plywood and fiberglass construction and production boats? I've seen people say they don't want a wooden boat but isn't the whole thing fiberglassed anyways?