Buying Okoume locally

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Buying Okoume locally

Post by Cforester821 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Unfortunately the shipping costs to buy the okoume through boat builder central is just too much. Wish it could have worked out.

I’ve called around to several places and they only sell the meranti.

Anyway, i’m Sure there’s been some Cajuns that have built these boats before and bought okoume locally in Louisiana.

Does anyone know any places around LA that sells Okoume? I’d be willing to drive to Biloxi or Houston to pick it up too.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Buying Okoume locally

Post by cvincent » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:13 pm

I am not aware of anyone offering marine grade okume plywood in Louisiana. The plywood sold by boatbuilder central is a high quality plywood worth the extra cost.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:28 pm

Fuel cost and time are worth something let alone getting a superior product from BBC...

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 pm

Why do you say it is to much? People from Virginia, NC and states further away from you have bought there plywood from BBC without a problem. If you want true Meranti or Okume this is the place to buy it. You have to be careful that you are getting real Meranti and Okume from other dealers. Make sure the stamps are correct and are the same as the ones that are on the stamps here. There is to much cheap Chinese junk on the market.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I’m definitely not settling for low quality. Looking for the bs 1088 from someone reputable for sure.

If it comes down to it, i’ll Just suck it up and order from BBC. Just trying to avoid 200 in shipping if I can.

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:07 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:52 pm
Why do you say it is to much? People from Virginia, NC and states further away from you have bought there plywood from BBC without a problem. If you want true Meranti or Okume this is the place to buy it. You have to be careful that you are getting real Meranti and Okume from other dealers. Make sure the stamps are correct and are the same as the ones that are on the stamps here. There is to much cheap Chinese junk on the market.
I say it’s too much because not everyone on this board has the same financial situation.

Other people may be able to throw around the extra 200 without blinking an eye. I can’t.

I’ve saved up money for a while and have it tightly budgeted for what I need for the boat. If I can save myself 200 in shipping, that’s huge for me.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Cforester821 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:07 pm

I say it’s too much because not everyone on this board has the same financial situation.

Other people may be able to throw around the extra 200 without blinking an eye. I can’t.

I’ve saved up money for a while and have it tightly budgeted for what I need for the boat. If I can save myself 200 in shipping, that’s huge for me.
Normally I would say that building a boat is not a way to save money, and will cost way more than you budgeted, so the plywood is not the place to reduce cost. If a cheap boat is the priority buying used is the way to go.

I was also going to say meranti is perfectly fine as long as you know it's real. Cheaper too it just weighs a bit more so just use that.

Then I see you are looking at building a small boat that only takes a few sheets total and doesn't have a motor so that $200 is probably a significant percentage of the overall cost. And you are going for minimum weight so the okume v meranti weight difference probably matters. So all my normal advice is out the window other than buy a used boat if price is your #1 consideration, build only because building a boat is your goal.

I don't know of a place in LA that sells okume as I'm not in the area, but maybe you can see if anyone else in your area is going to put in an order to BBC and split shipping with them? Also check this list and see if any are near you: https://www.glen-l.com/resources/lumber ... rs.html#LA

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Talk to some cabinet shops and see where they get their wood. They may have a supplier that can add your okume to an order they are planning. Make sure it is BS 1088 stamped. I got the plywood for my OD 18 that way and paid just a little less (maybe $50) than ordering it here.

I can appreciate your budget. Keep looking around.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 pm

Cost isn’t the only factor. The SK14 is something that fits my needs almost perfectly.

Plus finding a used boat that fits what’ve I want at a decent price has been difficult. Most microskiffs have great resale value especially with everyone wanting to get on the water with COVID.

But I didn’t come here to defend myself for trying to be cost effective where I can.

I’ll take a look at that list.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:38 am

No reason to feel like you need to defend yourself over saving money where you can. Lots of us, more like most of us, need to do the same thing. I hate you got that feeling. You will find 99% of the folks here to be friendly and will try to help any way they can. The way I took most of this is the guys did not want you to make any mistake that would leave you unhappy with your boat.
Welcome to this group. Post a build thread, with pictures, and ask any questions that come up. There are no dumb questions other than the ones that do not get asked :wink: