Buying Okoume locally

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Buying Okoume locally

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 am

Here is a place in Houston that sells it. Close to the same price that BBC sells it for but BBC is still cheaper. I would call first but they have BS1088 plywood in stock.

https://www.clarkshardwood.com/

It has been my source since it is only a few miles from my warehouse.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 am

Road trip! 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 am

Acadian Hardwoods in Ponchatoula lists okoume plywood as a product they carry. I do not know if the plywood is marine grade?

https://www.acadianhardwoods.net/?page_id=1250
Completed D15, Completed PH18

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:46 am

Cforester821 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 pm
Cost isn’t the only factor. The SK14 is something that fits my needs almost perfectly.

Plus finding a used boat that fits what’ve I want at a decent price has been difficult. Most microskiffs have great
Options
But I didn’t come here to defend myself for trying to be cost effective where I can. resale value especially with everyone wanting to get on the water with COVID.

I’ll take a look at that list.
Go ahead and build the SK14 with the Meranti. One sheet of 1/4" only weighs 3lbs more than Okume and until you get done cutting out the shapes the boat won't weigh much different. You only need 6 sheets so before cutting 18lbs after cutting maybe 10 or 12. Meranti is also much more waterproof than Okume if you should ever get a scratch in her. What I would recommend is buying your supplies through here though. They are made for boat building and are shipped by UPS and are economical. You will need epoxy, fiberglass tape, fairing compound, primer and paint. Then lots of sanding discs.

Good luck on your build and your right no need to defend yourself, we are here to help you not criticize you. Let me know if I can help you further. Set up a build thread and ask all the questions you need to. Lots of experience and helpful guys on here.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:03 am

I appreciate the advice.

I was thinking about Meranti, but I saw Jacques say in previous threads to avoid the meranti in the SK14 due to it being harder to bend.

If it’s been done with the meranti and isn’t too difficult, i’ll Go that route as there’s plenty in the Louisiana marsh to make some dings in your boat.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 am

With Meranti, it will be more difficult to bend the panels at the bow but not impossible. If you can't get Okume, go for Meranti. You may have to cut a few slits but that is just more labor, it does no weaken the hull.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks Jacques.

How would I cut the slits? Just top and bottom of where I want it to bend? I’m new to all this 😁

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Cforester821,

I can definitely appreciate the need for a budget, whether it's a boat build or purchase of a new/used one. I would be happy to get you a custom quote on shipping to LA. I'm not sure where in LA you are located but I took the liberty of getting a quote for pickup at a Freight Terminal in Jefferson, LA. The shipping cost is $167.00. Based on where you live the cost could fluctuate slightly.

Please give me a call, we are happy to help you out in any way we can!
-Reid, Boat Builder Central
772-742-8535
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Another thing to keep in mind, this forum and the wonderful exchange of ideas is allowed and funded through BBC. They don't get on here and push their products unless asked about specific items. Let's ensure we have the forum in the future by supporting BBC where you can. By all means, buy the local plywood if it means the difference between building a boat and not, but try to buy the other supplies from our host!

They provide great technical support even if you make the mistake! :oops:

Thanks Jeff, Reid and founder Jacques! :D

Cforester821
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cforester821 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the help guys.

Since Jacques gave the green light on the meranti, I found a local source in New Orleans that everyone I have called has recommended for marine plywood. It’s BS1088 and I’m going to visually inspect it today.

But i’ll definitely be buying a lot of the other products through BBC. I want to support the site as much as I can for sure and will likely end up getting the meranti through BBC if the meranti I’m about to look at doesn’t check out.