Need help deciding what to build.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Need help deciding what to build.

Post by Kenfyoozed » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:06 am

I am wanting to build a boat for the family. Currently we have a 25’tritoon and a18’CC Blazer bay. The family loves the ride and stability of the pontoon boat but it’s to nice to fish from and we can’t go offshore. I have a family of 4 and the Blazer Bay is cramped if we all go. We are located in Mobile, Al and I want something to fish the bay and run off shore to the snapper grounds and state reefs. I think they are 8-15 miles off shore. The blazer bay pounds in the chop and is a very wet boat. What does the group here suggest? I already have a trailer that’s good for a 25’ boat. And I may even use the motor off my Blazer Bay which is a Suzuki 140. I like the boats with a cabin like the DE23, DE25 or evening the OP21. A cabin isn’t a must but a plus when the weather kicks up. Originally I wanted the Cat 22 and it’s still a forerunner if I can build it in a dual console, like the Twin Vee 22 family fisherman. I think the stability of a cat versus the protection of a cabin would be better. Even if it meant buying two new outboards. What is the consensus of this group on what design would be best for my uses?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need help deciding what to build.

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 am

DE23 or 25 with the long cockpit.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:02 am

I'm from the Mobile area , I would agree with Jacques with one exception , if fishing will be the primary use of the boat . The DE25 built more in line of the Novi 23 with a soft top , long or short , and a jump cabin would give you a very functional fishing boat for our area . It would add room for fishing and put you in range of all the good offshore fishing no matter where you launch . 3 sisters is an easy run for a boat like that .

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 pm

If I didn’t need or want a cabin would the Cat 22 be worth a look?

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:41 pm

The 22 would be nice in the bay or the area of the gulf you are wanting to fish . You would need 2 90 hp and not able to use your 140 . Other boats to look at are the panga 25,s , the 140 hp is over powered by design for the panga 25 , but not by much . The Gulfstream 28 would be a fishing machine ,but the 140 is on the low end . I was fishing a rig east of the mouth of the bay when a squall came up , me and one other boat stayed anchored and road it out . I didn't have a jump cabin , I didn't need one , but the other boat did , and I sure wanted one . A place for a porta potty makes the wife happy as well .

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:03 am

I know I don’t like this Blazer Bay for anything other than the rivers. Went out last night with just two of us and it was still cramped trying to move around it with the waves. Definitely need something wider. I was thinking a CC with t tops with deck lights to help see what we are doing at night is in order. Last night we had no lights and it was a comedy of errors. Still had fun but was a real struggle. With a CC T-top would a canvas dodger on the bow and spray curtains on the t-top suffice to keep you dry enough in a squall like you mentioned?

rick berrey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rick berrey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am

Not that squall , with that being said I have always made do with a heavy raincoat , and the bottom of the boat . The CC will put you into more hp , longer build time , and I would think the draft might cut out some areas of the bay and delta for fishing . I spent two years on the river replacing the 14 mi bridge , another year or two on the Dolly . Being on the river day in and out no matter what the conditions broke me on a flat bottom boat for an all around boat for river and bay . Our 28' /30' scully,s had cabins and spoiled me . You can build any of these boats to suit your needs , the DE25 could be built without a cabin , maybe a casting deck forward you could still get under , lots of options , and you already have a 140 hp . I have found no one perfect boat for our area ( river , delta , bay , gulf ) , we need two or three different boats , I have learned over the years it is best to let the kin folk buy them , and me pay for gas and bait .

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:28 pm

Took the wife and oldest so out today and had a good time but both mentioned they would rather a wider boat that doesn't lean side to side and more room to move around vs a cabin. So I think I am looking toward the Cat 22. i think it fits most my needs other than using the motor i have....so more research on the cat 22

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Take a look at the C19 and C21 they are the biggest boats in there size range an 8 to 8.6 beam. I don't know how shallow you need to go in your rivers and other places you need to go but C19 draft 7" C21, 10". They are excellent in rough water with a deadrise of about 12-14 degrees. and don't roll much at anchor. They are large boats for there size. And I think both could work for you.our 140 would almost be to much for the 19 as a 115 has pushed her into the 40's real life. The 21 Jacques projects a 125 will push here to 37.

The C19 is the only under 20" boat I would recommend for you as it has a shallow enough draft and is able to take your 140, the draft is only 1" more than some Phantom flats boats. It also has lots of room due to it's 19 x 8 dimensions. It is also Offshore capable as JimW has caught marlin and Mahi off the coast from Florida. I also like the higher sides for safety.

Well good luck on your choice and enjoy your build and the fishing after. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 am

wished there was a perfect boat..... mine would be a pontoon (stable and wide) that's offshore capable (seaworthy and smooth in chop) but still able to use a trolling motor ( for off shore gps electronic anchoring and fishing the shallow rivers and bays). It would be beachable and have a draft of less than 16" give or take a bit.... I am thinking for now the CT22 may fit this need a bit better even though this would require 2 new engines....who knows where i will end up