Need help deciding what to build.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Need help deciding what to build.

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Kenfyoozed wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am

Which part is not easy? TX18 or scaling? With scaling wouldn't you increase every dimension by a certain %. Im not worried about nesting the parts on the plywood. I am sure I can do that.
The width is 8'1". You could go 10% without changing the scantlings assuming you keep hp reasonable, but any more than a 5% scale will see you over width for trailering. So you have major complications for a ~15% increase in boat size. And It's already a fairly complex build.

Just my observations and opinion.

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 pm

from my understanding, and i could be wrong....most likely i am, but the tx18 is 8'1 while the hs18 is 7'7. The hs18 has a higher free board anyway so i am thinking it may be a better choice. As well i thought i found that the hs18 is actually longer than 18' to begin with. I thought i found that the hs is actually 21'. I am going to research this again and post my findings....

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm

"I designed the "bonus plans" almost 10 years before the TX18. It was a 21' hull. Gave the unfinished drawings to a Hickman's sled enthusiast and he built a 23' version. He had a web site about the boat but I can't find it anymore.He was very happy with the boat and intended to build a 28' version."

So that is what I found..... maybe the original plan was 21 and the new "bonus plan" is only 18'. Maybe Jacques can clarify?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:41 am

He's semi retired, give him time.
The other boat is just a lines drawing I think? Not a full plan. That's a much bigger project if so.

Good luck with whatever you choose. When you do decide start a build thread.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 am

My trolling is using the trolling motor to move the boat silently as possible along the river while we are casting. Most days we simply drift with the current and use the trolling motor to steer in short burst
Yup - me too!

Lure (crank baits to you?) chuckers rule! :lol:

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 am

Yep, but i still prefer live bait under a popping cork. But when i can't get that a nice chucker will do :D

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:28 am

That Hickman must pound like hell in a chop. Nearly a flat bottom boat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 am

From an actual builder of the TX18, nota true hickman but darn close...... and working in the same body of water I plan to use this in......So all real world experiences, not opinions or theories. Yet i would agree that this style should ride like crap, but apparently it doesn'tNot at least for my local area....
As far as performance, I didn't have a GPS with me. I know we were doing 40, though. She comes on plane effortlessly. I found it will come bow up if you throttle up hard out of the hole. If you just ease it forward, it comes up just like Jacques said, level and smooth. We crossed several 20' runabout wakes with hardly a wobble. When we crossed Mobile Bay the rollers were just getting a white spot on every 3rd or 4th. I slowed down which was a mistake. There is a sweet spot in the speed where the air cushion builds but you aren't running so fast as to beat the boat up. Head on, it would pound a bit. Quarter the sea and it was on air, bridging the swells with its super beam.
That's a tough comparison to come up with. A lot of the ride will have to do with the captain. Obviously not a Deep-V boat. My younger brother had a 16' Wahoo (aka B*st*n Whaler) It is gentler than that. Up to a 1.5-2' chop, it does great. It seems to "bridge" them. The boat is very light and buoyant in a VERY GOOD way.

I had several conditions where we were sliding off the front side of a roller and pushing the next. No sneeze there and our speed was definitely changing.
Hurry up and get that thing done for this season. I put MANY hrs on mine this weekend. This boat never ceases to amaze me. I pushed it a lot harder in larger chop than ever before. Super dry, super stable, and a great ride for a flats boat. I crossed the wake of dolphin cruise boats (converted 45'ish navy launches) that I know were 3' rollers with long periods, just bumpin the high spots. That was of course after I dropped the family off. It's a blast in all ways!
I have found the "sweet spot" when it gets rough, and I thought I would pass it along. When there is a really sharp chop, open her up and trim her down hard. You will realize the purpose of the hickman sled, then. The stern lifts and you run on the sponsons. She wiggles her tail a bit like this, but not any way that would cause alarm.

Obviously this is only good up to a certain sea level, but very valuable info to those interested in the design. Still wish JM would design the "BIG ONE"
A larger version with a max beam of 8'6" and more freeboard I think is needed for my application....

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 am

No double posting please. Let's stick to the thread named Hickman Sled 18 bonus plans. I will lock the others.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com