AB23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Shug21
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AB23

Post by Shug21 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:02 pm

when I look at the study plans for the ab23 it looks like the outer hull at the gunnel is close to parallel from the console to the stern but the two pictures that show a boat that is actually floating makes it look like the gunnels come back in kinda like an oblong football shape. is this just an optical illusion or do they really come back in that much?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AB23

Post by TomW1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:44 pm

It is an optical illusion, they do go inward a little but not much. The AB23 is one of my favorite boats, hope you build it! :D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Shug21
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shug21 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Thanks Tom, If I build it I will probably not post pictures until it is done. to many people like to criticize but don't even try. working on a flats boat at the moment so this one would be 10-12 months out before being started. thanks for the help as the pictures look really bad

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 am

If you build one I too hope you will start a build thread. I think you will find the guys on here are not like some other places. I would venture to say 99% of what you will receive is praise and if asked helpful suggestions. Those that only criticise are sent packing pretty darn quick.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 am

Just what Fuzz says, criticism is not welcomed here. I've never gotten any over 4 builds and lord knows I must have often deserved it :lol: Support and good advice for sure. The AB23 build would be an exciting one to see documented, so I'm hoping. Thread or no though, good luck on that build!

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am

Shug21 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 pm
Thanks Tom, If I build it I will probably not post pictures until it is done. to many people like to criticize but don't even try. working on a flats boat at the moment so this one would be 10-12 months out before being started. thanks for the help as the pictures look really bad
Tom here which flats boat? If you don't want to post pictures of it now, please post some in the Finished Boats section. I do wish you would start a build thread of AB23. It not only keeps us entertained but helps future builders. I am sorry you think that there is criticism when people post pictures of there builds but in the many years I have been on the Forum I have seen very little and they have been told about it. This Forum is about helping people not criticizing them.

Well take care and look forward to seeing pics of both boats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Shug21
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Shug21 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am

Tom here which flats boat? If you don't want to post pictures of it now, please post some in the Finished Boats section. I do wish you would start a build thread of AB23. It not only keeps us entertained but helps future builders. I am sorry you think that there is criticism when people post pictures of there builds but in the many years I have been on the Forum I have seen very little and they have been told about it. This Forum is about helping people not criticizing them.

Well take care and look forward to seeing pics of both boats.

Tom
I am building Chris Morejohn's Beryllium skiff. It will be 18' 5" loa, hull will be made from h80 foam and either basalt or a carbon layup.(still working with a friend who is doing the laminate schedule for me). The deck might bet made from Nomex honey comb and prepreg but I am still working on the oven design for my lanai to get the temperatures held correct. Otherwise I will do the deck with infusion and foam.

As for the AB23 I may not follow the plywood/fiberglass design and instead build the hull from cheap plywood and use it as a male mold to do a full fiberglass/epoxy hull with no core except in the transom. it will also be scaled up 10% but if it looks to involved or too expensive I might buy a Lattitudeboats 25 and just modify the interior to my liking and rig it myself. the Lattitude is basically an old flat deck contender with enclosed stern. but alas I have Nov/Dec/Jan set aside to build the Beryllium then its wait till October and cooler weather to start the next project.