Panga or Nina for rough water?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

Panga or Nina for rough water?

Post by anonymous » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:28 am

I am looking for a design that is known to handle 2-3 foot seas with ease and comfort. I fish from 5-17 miles offshore and it allways seems rough.
Would the Panga or Nina be a good choice? Which would be better? I know the Panga is a planing hull and the Nina is semi-displacement which results in different speeds. My main concern is how the boat handles and rides in rough water. Perhaps there is a different design that would do better. Please advise, and thank you.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:48 pm

C19, I would guess. Although I would like to see what the other builders say about the two boats you asked about.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:52 pm

Yeah, the panga vs. the nina is like apples and oranges. I would agree with the C19 if you going to be in 2-3 chop all the time.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Thanks Scott. I am really hoping the Nina will be the choice in rough water. The speed dosen't bother me. The boat has a lot of character. I built a boat similar to the C19 already, the Kingfisher by Glen L. I am wondering if I can get better rough water performance from a semi-displacement hull. I sure would like to see a good responce from the other builders, and of course the designer. Regards. Terry

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:04 pm

Shine, I don't understand how you are comparing the Panga and Nina. Of the two, which do you think would do the job? According to the design description, it seems like both would. I am so tired of slowing down and pounding in planing hulls. The best I have had was an Albemarle 24, but I would rather build another wooden boat. This will be my third. Thanks.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:04 pm

Yeah, the panga vs. the nina is like apples and oranges. I would agree with the C19 if you going to be in 2-3 chop all the time.
Err..?!?
I guess I don't understand the 'program' for the Panga? I thought that the Panga,(with the longer water line and shaper entry) would excel in a tight 2-3' chop, and the C19 (or 17,21) were more for swells and going fast (can handle the short chop, but must slow to displacment speed)?

Help me out please?
Can someone 'in the know' give a comparison of the C- hulls and the Panga's - What are their strengths and weakness compaired to each other?

I am looking for a design for the Texas Gulf Coast - seems like the 'good' days, we almost always have a short chop.

Jerry

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:09 pm

The newer Albies are just a Formula hull great boats. Best ride I have been offshore on is me and my partners 24 Topaz although it is only a 24kt boat.

Of the two you listed Nina or Panga I would choose the Panga because it is able to go above displacement speed. Though I couldn't even tell you how it is in rough water or even its deadrise. If its like most Panga's they are pretty flat backed. I have been looking at the Panga for a long time and will be watching this post often~!

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:30 am

TL-VA wrote:Shine, I don't understand how you are comparing the Panga and Nina. Of the two, which do you think would do the job? According to the design description, it seems like both would. I am so tired of slowing down and pounding in planing hulls. The best I have had was an Albemarle 24, but I would rather build another wooden boat. This will be my third. Thanks.
My point was that you couldn’t compare the two boats. So your question is really what is better for you, a planing hull or a displacement hull - that can probably be answered. If you do not care about speed, then I guess that leaves the displacement. :D

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:36 am

Jerry-rigged wrote:
Err..?!?
I guess I don't understand the 'program' for the Panga? I thought that the Panga,(with the longer water line and shaper entry) would excel in a tight 2-3' chop, and the C19 (or 17,21) were more for swells and going fast (can handle the short chop, but must slow to displacment speed)?

Jerry
If I were fishing offshore EXCLUSIVELY in 2-3 ft. seas, I would rather be in a boat with more deadrise and higher gunnels - JUST MY PREFERANCE. Sure the panga can handle offshore, but its not going to be the same ride as deep V with more beam.

If I spent most of my time inshore and went out occasionally - the panga would make more sense.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:37 am

The above two posts were me, sorry :doh: