Panga or Nina for rough water?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
LIVEWIRE
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by LIVEWIRE » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:05 am

fly, i know your pain well.
i've had to keep delaying my build because of back problems.
after 18 years of back pain i finally ruptured l-4 and l-5.
had surgery back the first of october and i'm finally able to start a new project if i'm careful. my back still takes me to my knees on occasion.

i've bought several sets of plans for this build and its going to be the od-18 since i have a 60 mariner collecting dust.

i like the pangas. maybe one of those next.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:17 am

Boy that little 60 sure would be nice on a 22 Panga.

I saw one today and it just got a worm feeling inside. I think the one I saw today was about 22 I know the maker is the local guy around here. Sure makes nice boats, sure looked like a nice high dry ride. This winter no doubt I'mma try one.

LIVEWIRE
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by LIVEWIRE » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:33 am

my thoughts also but i've bought several plans and i have to build. i aint getting anything accomplished changing my mind.
i'm sure when i get this river fishing for giant cats out of my system and get the saltwater flu again, i'll go for the panga.

maybe we need to come up with a quick disconnect system for outboards.
2 boats, one engine.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:54 pm

The panga is a popular and proven design in third world countries, no question about it. But why is that? Can it be said that the people in Belize did an exhaustive test of various hull designs before picking the Panga? I doubt it. The panga seems to be an easily built hull, rugged and seaworthy. Those qualities make it a good fit for those countries and that I think is why it is popular. Even if the Nina were to give a better ride in average sea conditions but was more difficult and costly to build, then it isn't likely to be as popular a choice IMHO. Add the fact that the Nina is going to be speed limited by the semi-displacement hull form and you get a definite panga preferece in warm sunny waters.

However, consider the origins of the Nina. It evolved from a lobster boat. The fishermen in Maine have a long history of being at sea in all kinds of weather but I think it would be fair to say that downeast ocean waters are less warm and sunny than those around Belize. For northeast coastal waters, the double wedge hull is the popular choice of fishermen, not the panga. Their tradition favors a slower load carrying hull that can keep going the same (semi-displacement) speed through the kind of seas they expect to encounter and to probably stay as dry as possible at the same time.

Which would be better riding in a chop? There are too many variables to make a decision simple. If I had a choice between a Panga 22 and a Nina (22), I would pick the Nina in a moderate chop and assuming it could maintain it's cruising speed of 15mph. I would pick the panga if the weather was expected to be nice and the seas varying from flat to nasty. The panga can go twice as fast (with 2X hp over the Nina) but I bet it would pound more than the Nina even at 15mph.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 pm

I may be stirring a whole nother pot but what of the Novi 23 built as a center console? Wider beam high bow like a Panga, is the small V birth structural? They both take near the same hp and seems as though they ride close to the same? Would be more boat and could prolly be built with a bracket?

anonymous

panga or nina

Post by anonymous » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:41 pm

has anybody considered using foam cores insted of plywood. lighter, faster, less hp. Would it be corkey, would ballist be needed?
newby, just don't know.

anonymous

Post by anonymous » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Foam core does not have the strength or stiffness of plywood so the lamination schedual is somewhat different. Also, those that have commented on building with foam core suggest that it is not as easy as plywood.
Charlie