Rod building

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Rod building

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am

Anybody want to talk about building fishing rods? I know that at least 6 of us fish :lol:

I ordered the components from Mudhole.com, to build a salt water fly rod, a 9 weight, mostly for redfish, but hopefully a multi -purpose salt water fly fishing rig, I'm an equal opportunity fisherman :)

Everything showed up Saturday afternoon in the fedex truck, 2 day service, and I stayed up until unti about 0330 Sunday morning, and 0100 Monday morning, and 0100 this morning, getting started. This is as much fun as building boats and you don't have to fair and sand nearly so much :D

I got everything sorted out, splined and marked the rod, installed the grip, reel seat and rod butt

And layed out the spacing for all the guides, and got all the underwrappings finished for the guides and ferrules. My home made wrapping jig is working very good.

Later today we'll get some guides wrapped on her :D

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Rod building

Post by TomW » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 am

She's looking good Larry. That looks like a nice kit.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 am

Didn't see that you were looking for a fly rod until you had already bought that kit. You made the right choice in my opinion.

I have been throwing salt water flies for about 15 years. I like 9wt rods for reds up to about 6 or 8 pounds. For small reds, any trout, blues and spanish I like a 7wt. Don't try cobia on anything smaller than a 10wt.

Did the cork fit right out of the box or did you have to adjust it? Sit (andfish)

PS If you think rod building is addictive, wait til you start tying flies.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:49 am

great subject. On the subject of picking a weight rod, this months FL sportsman has an article on how the 9 wt is the best all around rod for inshore :wink:

ThistleDewDayDreamin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ThistleDewDayDreamin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:37 am

Over-Achiever :!: 8)

When you get good at it ( like probably tomorrow afternoon ) you can pay for your next boat by winding custom rods! My new boat will need a full compliment ya know. :D I wonder how fast you could finance that GS28?

Really like the winding jig, what are you spinning it with?
My bride, my health, warm winds, Buffet tunes, my friends, good food, great spirits,... and the water. All I'll ever need :)

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 am

Larry, would you consider doing a full tutorial from start to finish on a rod? I am thinking about taking a crack at this next winter.

Thanks for the post!

E

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:38 am

Spokaloo wrote:Larry, would you consider doing a full tutorial from start to finish on a rod? I am thinking about taking a crack at this next winter.

Thanks for the post!

E
that would be awesome.

Rod looks good!!

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

ThistleDewDayDreamin
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ThistleDewDayDreamin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

Awe yeah, I'm in on that one too!! I gotta believe with your talent in documenting this stuff you'd so a great job of it. I always admired those custom built rods, the colors, the patterns, ( I always wondered how they "Braided" treads under and over each other too. ) but they were ( are ) not in my budget. What rod blank are you using, if you said, I didn't catch it. 8) Fill us in this is great :!:
My bride, my health, warm winds, Buffet tunes, my friends, good food, great spirits,... and the water. All I'll ever need :)

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 am

You guys must be so blessed with patience to even consider building your own rods... I've thought about it and even done some research but it all seems a might to tedious for my disposition. :oops: However, at this site you can find pretty much everything you need including books and videos on "how to". http://www.versitex.com/versitex/main.html

Now if you guys can talk CL into documenting his builds that would be great. Checking out rod building is right up there with boat build for me. So let's go Larry so your stuff. :D 8)

MD :wink:

marshjeremy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by marshjeremy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am

I as well have started to acquire bits and pieces to start building rods. I am interested in making my own hand wrapper and have considered a bunch of designs. Ive got 2 blanks on the way (GLoomis 7ft GLX ) and have yet to get a wrapper. The ole box and phone book may have to do for the first 2, but def need to decide on a hand wrapper and dryer. What do you like about your design CLarry? I would love to participate on a rod building forum.
BTW, I have been on the site for over 4yrs as unibober but moved from Florida to Louisiana a few years back and now am in the trout/redfish capital of the world. Ive built a SC16, D5, and am currently finishing a GV11 for puttin around the marsh. Hope to join the conversation more often. Jeremy