Battery Setup / Placement

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Battery Setup / Placement

Post by Southern Gent » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi, 12V Trolling motor 46LB thrust or 52LB ( the strongest in 12V from Motorguide) will work fine. Put your batteries where you want them. Add a 2 Bank on board charger and extend the charging wires as needed.

I have picked up a couple Great White 12V trolling motors off Craigs list.

I am adding a 52LB 12V to my new XF20 building work in progress now.

Bill

LSUred
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LSUred » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:19 pm

I'll check craigslist, good idea. Never used the Great Whites, but I've heard good things. I've had a bunch of Minnkota freshwater motors, I love em. Easy to work on. A couple friends have the Riptides on their boats, so I'll probably give them a try.
I live about 1 mile from US 77 in Corpus. Pick me up on the way down.
Will do, good sir! I caught my first tarpon ever at the jetties at SPI in late August, guess it was near the Brownsville Port??? I've only fished there once, and I'm bad with directions 8O

Was the only thing we caught for 3 tough days of tarpon fishing. Hooked into a big Eagleray the last day, thought I had a monster poon that just refused to jump til that big ray surfaced after 20 minutes :oops:

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm

CL I was planning on Lowrance GPS, LED navigation lights, Trim tabs and eventually a little stereo with 4 small speakers. Not sure if I would need a 2nd battery or not to power my accessories. No bait/live well at all. No plan for a bilge pump with the self-bailing cockpit and will drain out the sides like Shine's.
No problem doing all that on one battery. I've seen people power a lot more than that on a single battery and have no problems. Heck, on my other boat, I've only got a single battery, at it powers all that you mention plus a VHF radio. Well maintained batteries are more resilient than most people give them credit for.

Regarding your trolling motor, if I remember correctly, Aripeka Angler has his trolling motor wires connected to a battery behind the read bulkhead on his XF20. That's about a 12' run, and I haven't heard any complaints from him about that. I think he has the largest 12V great white you can get. If you hook up the batteries via a switch, then charging both at the same time is simple.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 am

LSUred wrote:
I live about 1 mile from US 77 in Corpus. Pick me up on the way down.
Will do, good sir! I caught my first tarpon ever at the jetties at SPI in late August, guess it was near the Brownsville Port??? I've only fished there once, and I'm bad with directions 8O

Was the only thing we caught for 3 tough days of tarpon fishing. Hooked into a big Eagleray the last day, thought I had a monster poon that just refused to jump til that big ray surfaced after 20 minutes :oops:
I know the way just fine!! The Harbor and jetties are actually called the "Brazos Santiago"

I must admit that I have never fished South Padre or for that matter for tarpon. Just one more I'd like to add to the list. :D When I get the Phantom finished, I'll get to go hit all these places. Of course that is after my wife's remodeling projects. :roll: