Shipping to Alaska

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
narfi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Shipping to Alaska

Post by narfi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 pm

I am thinking towards spring and purchasing supplies, I know that you can be very competitive in pricing, but want to find out what to expect for shipping or if it will become cost prohibitive.....

I would try to get together with Fuzz to combine a shipment, as well as try to 'sell' some of my sons friends fathers on the idea of some canoe projects to make a shipment worth the distance.........
I think my current plan will be enough supplies for a Hiawatha 14 and a FS17 + a couple extra sheets for mistakes, console, gunwales, etc..... + whatever, whoever else I talk into going in with me will need.

All that said, I don't know specifics yet...... Probably around 8-15 sheets of 1/4" and 3/8" each + resin and cloth.
Shipping to a commercial address zip 99501

The only stuff I have found locally is at http://store.sbsalaska.com/1-4-4x8-ab-m ... ywood.html which doesnt give any info about what kind of plywood it actually is........ (pretty sure its not Okume based on weight)

If shipping becomes cost prohibitive from you guys, then I will need to step up my search for a practical source by spring.

Soaking up knowledge.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shipping to Alaska

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Narfi, it would be better and much more specific if you would just put together a complete list of everything you are looking for along with city (as you have already given me the Zip Code)!! We will put together a quote for you both using USPS or UPS for the building supplies and a freight quote for the marine plywood. You could then take our quote and compare with local suppliers or others. We do our best to be best price and best service but we do understand it is Alaska and shipping pricing gets really expensive up there!! Thank you for the opportunity to quote. Use my email address: jeff@e-boat.net
Thanks, Jeff

narfi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by narfi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks!
Sent you an email, but no rush as this is for planning purposes only.

narfi
Soaking up knowledge.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Jeff the quote I got from you guys was VERY good :!: I think Narfi is wanting enough to make it work. We will get together and I will add 10-12 sheets to the order. I wish I had done this 6 months ago. It stinks not having good wood around when I want it.
Narfi the wood SBS has is fir marine. I got meranti from Hardware Specialities in Anchorage. 563-1312 I compared their price to the price here and it works out price wise if we get 20 sheets or more at one time. Just for info the SBS fir marine is junk compared to meranti.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Just thought of something. If the guy asking about a TW28 was serious we could make a really nice order :D

narfi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by narfi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Received the quote with shipping today, and it was even more reasonable than I expected.

I will plan on making an order around the end of May, if anyone in Alaska wants to go in on a bulk order with me, please sent me a message here on the forum by then. (I will 'bump' this thread once a week or so till then for whoever may be interested)

Narfi
Soaking up knowledge.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Narfi, we went out to our three best freight providers and was really happy with two of the carriers. It took longer than we thought it would but for that price, we can wait a couple of days!! Happy to add anyone else onto your primary shipment!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:09 pm
Narfi, we went out to our three best freight providers and was really happy with two of the carriers. It took longer than we thought it would but for that price, we can wait a couple of days!! Happy to add anyone else onto your primary shipment!! Jeff
Jeff I spoke with Narfi and when he is ready I will add some to the order.
Fuzz

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 am

Fuzz, excellent way to ship!!!! Jeff

narfi
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by narfi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Weekly reminder till May......

If anyone in Alaska wants to ship together to Anchorage let me know by then and we can order together. (You could likely let Jeff know as well as he seems to be one of the active guys on the forum here who is in charge of orders/shipping)
Soaking up knowledge.