AD 14 KIELGE

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Salvatore
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AD 14 KIELGE

Post by Salvatore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi Carl,
Nice work! Considering that you have done the top half you don't have far to go now :D .

Talking about ladders, the ladder on my boat works well for me, it doesn't clutter up the deck when not in use, bottom half folds up when beaching the boat and is very easy to use. You can find them online I think I paid about $150 Australian dollars for it

Regards Salvatore
Building Angelina
https://youtu.be/plQZZJgnWzk

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

I have something similar on my Catalina 22. It is held in the upright position by Velcro that you can release from the water. I figure at my age, I will be in something like panic mode if I go overboard so I want to make it as easy as possible to get up to the cockpit.
Tony

waytootall
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by waytootall » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:43 pm

I wondered why the holes were in the design for the rudder. I never considered it was to be an emergency ladder! I am glad I put them in even though I didn't know why. The keel shoe looks great. Very clean work.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 am

Nice clean and clever work Karl. Glad it is warming up there for you. I hope it will happen here soon but it shows no sign of it. Still below 0 this morning :cry:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi,
As everyone here on the forum says that bunks are much better for a boat on the trailer than rollers, I laminated the first 2 pieces of three metre long plywood bunks. I glued them with epoxy/woodflour together and hope it keeps the shape of the boats bottom. The weights keep it nicely against the hull. I did not forget to put enough plastic between bunks and boat. Tomorrow I glue the third plywood layer onto the bunks.

Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Karl,

If possible measure the deflection of the wood at the points where the bunks will attach to your trailer. This will let you but spacers between the mounts and the bunk to ensure you get the best fit. It doesn't matter what tangent on the arch you use as long as you use the same point for measure and set up.

You will get some spring back with the lamination. It shouldn't be too bad, but those measurements will be worth the time if it springs more than you like. Knowing the needed deflections have saved my bacon more than once on laminations like that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Forgot to tell you, I really like your build. Cant wait to see it on the water.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi Jaysen,
I am not quite sure what you mean with the angle of deflection. I will definitely use some spacers at the support to make the bunks stronger there and give extra height for the screws whose heads will have the thickness of the first plywood panel and have to be countersunk into it. But I think I will try and make it like Bondo who sent me a picture of his trailer support and on it it looks like the one top screw let one adjust the angle of the bunk towards the boats bottom. Right now I dont know yet were the bunk supports will be. I hope to find out where to place them once I got the boat hanging over the trailer more or less in the position where it should rest on it. Then I will look where on my trailer metal cross beams I can place the bunk supports. The problem is the skids should be more or less underneath the 2 longitudinal stringers of the boat and this will guide me where to position the skids supports and hopefully also underneath frame B and D. But that is still far away. I just thought having the boat still upside down I could get the skids laminated using the bend of the bottom. I have seen that Bondo did it that way.

Here is his support:

and that is how he made the bunks and me copycat wants to do it the same:

I hope to have the boat in the water this summer

Greetings from Karl

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi,
So today I got the foam out of the centreboard trunk which I had there while glueing the keel shoe to the boat. I naturally battled even with this small task going at it with knives and thin saw blades and pliers and getting nowhere until I used a jimmy and a club hammer and got it out in a few minutes and had the floor covered with lots of small pieces of styrofoam. Now I have the boat ready for glassing the bottom and sides.

Naturally I will take away the 2 skids I made for the trailer beforehand. After laminating these bunks for the trailer out of 3 plywood panels they keep the shape of the boats bottom perfectly even when I take them away from it.

Greetings from Karl

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Really nice Karl!! Great work!! Jeff