OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fuzz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm

For a first time builder this has to be the cleanest, neatest, most precise build of all time. :!: Heck it just might be that period. I am sure you would get lots more advise but I have yet to see where you need it.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Congratulations you can never get by with out getting a little blood some where when building one of these boats. Glad it wasn't to serious. Your build is looking great and I'm really enjoying it as I have an OD18 also.
Restored Mirror Dingy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Desghn courses.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 am

Glad you're ok. Just a heads up, when coarse sanding fiberglass, wear gloves. Digging a fiberglass "needle" out of one's hands is not fun.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am

I've been told from those unfortunate enough to know from personal experience that a drill bit injury is much worse than a cut and takes longer to heal.

Other than that, it looks like things are going well and coming together as if there was a plan!
Hank

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:43 am

I think we've finally found something BBC MarinEpoxy can't fix :)

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Nice job...It's a good day when it actually starts to look like a boat. Have fun with the upper panels!

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:32 pm

I
think we've finally found something BBC Marine Epoxy can't fix
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I don't think I want to try an epoxy repair because if that didn't work the vinegar to clean it off will probably hurt worse than the drill bitt.

I fitted the top side panels today. Not an easy job at all. I fitted them dry to hold the lower panels in place while I started gluing them in. I'm planning to get the chines and lower panels completely glued in so they can't move, then remove and glue in the top panels.

The top panels are about 3" high at the bow. That's because I allowed for a bulwark to prevent a drooping bow. I think that as I have it so well supported nothing drooped. It's still far easier to cut them down than have to add them. I'm going to leave this until the top panels are glued in so I have some material to play with.

One thing that has come to light is the mismatch between the top side panels and the top of the transom. I was expecting this as everyone else had the same problem. I originally planned to trim the side panels down and preserve the shape of the transom. I like the shape as its very traditional. I also like the way Cape Man added infill pieces to his craft. I think I am now planning to add infill pieces but angle them to keep the original look. That way I also keep the flowing lines along the top edge between bow and stern.

Also for any future builders. I allowed an extra inch on the front of the top panels because several builders had a big gap here. I may just be how I have it supported but the original dimensions work fine and I had to cut off the extra that I had allowed.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

In the spirit of "Cape Man", If I mount a Harpoon on the bow will it become a "Boston Whaler" :?:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 am

A good IPAD on a good boat.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 am

IPA
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman