ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by MrPaul » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Glad to hear you're ok. I've been through some nasty ones and its no fun. Getting power back on quickly definitely makes life easier. I hope everything returns to normal around your place soon.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:10 am

I spent the day developing templates for, then cutting, then dry fitting two of the deck beams for the forward deck. It turned out to be a bit of a suck it and see process.

The height of the crown of the deck beam at aft end of the forward deck was set at an arbitrary 4" above the gunwales, and the 'crown beam' of the deck between this frame and the bow was set as a straight line.

With the aft beam and the 'crown beam' temporarily fixed in place, I draped decking ply over them to check that the deck bedded snugly along the gunwales. The fit was generally ok, but with a little fine tuning of the gunwales with a block plane, it became better.

With the deck beam, 'crown beam', and the gunwale lines set, I then used the draped ply to determine the required shape of the forward deck beam shown in the picture below. This last step will be repeated to determine the required shape for the remaining forward deck beams.

An enjoyable days work. :D

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Glossieblack, Glad you all were spared the worst of the storm.
I like the crown your putting in. Just curious though, if you plan to put hatches there. How will you do it?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Eric1 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 am
I like the crown your putting in. Just curious though, if you plan to put hatches there. How will you do it?
I'm not putting any hatches in the deck. If I was, I'd cut out the hatch opening from the curved deck and reuse the cut out as the hatch lid, hinging it parallel and close to the centreline of the boat - which is a straight line. Under the cut out line I'd build a channel drain at least 2" x 2", with scuppers draining overboard.

[/quote]
Fuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:15 pm
GB it is great to hear you made it through in good shape .......... I hope that beautiful sail boat rode it out ok also.
I only got down to inspect her this morning. She rode it out with ease, but as has happened before, it seems someone rafted up to her, probably because of her heavy mooring tackle, and roughed up her paintwork. :x
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:26 pm

[/quote]

I only got down to inspect her this morning. She rode it out with ease, but as has happened before, it seems someone rafted up to her, probably because of her heavy mooring tackle, and roughed up her paintwork. :x
[/quote]

Man that just plain sucks :x You spend all the time and expense to keep her looking good and then some bonehead ruffs her up. I would be killing mad :!: I guess it is good all the bigger boats in my life have been work boats, you tie to them at your own peril. :lol: Having old tires hanging for fenders seems to keep the pretty boats away for some reason :doh:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:26 pm
Man that just plain sucks :x You spend all the time and expense to keep her looking good and then some bonehead ruffs her up. I would be killing mad :!:
Killing would be tempting if I knew culprit. :wink:

No boat building for the next few days due to the time consuming demands of oyster reef restoration politics. Now that's enough to make you truly killing mad. :roll:

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:27 pm

No boat building for the next few days due to the time consuming demands of oyster reef restoration politics. Now that's enough to make you truly killing mad. :roll:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Or as said the other day when trying to transfer some funds at the bank...

Craig: "You know what's easy?"
Banker: "No, what?"
Craig: "Nothing."
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:47 am

cape man wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Or as said the other day when trying to transfer some funds at the bank...

Craig: "You know what's easy?"
Banker: "No, what?"
Craig: "Nothing."
Did mr or ms banker wince? :lol:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:12 am

Michael, are you going to get any S/S work (ie rails) done for Skinnydip? If so, have you, in your generally thorough way, given any thought to who is going to do it? I've looked at a couple of possibilities up here but, and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, they are excellent tradesmen but not "artisans". I am spoiled for having seen the work done on Cracker Larry last build by .......Raymond (if my memory serves me well?). I have even contemplated getting him to do some work for me and shipping it to Oz!

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 pm

I bought my aluminum trailer from a local guy here, who also sells them in Australia. http://www.petersontrailers.com/

I met him through my friend who does custom marine fabrication, including my leaning post on the OD18.

http://www.sanchezmarine.com/SanchezBro ... arine.html

Might be an opportunity to have something shipped over the next time a load of trailers are coming your way...

Just a thought...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman