ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am
Your drive line is unique. Beautifully unique. I'm really intrigued by it. Gets me thinking about gotchas (it's what I do for a living). Sorry if I'm creating any problems for you.
Jaysen, I'm not thinking too far ahead on the detail of the e-drive at this stage, as there is so much basic boat building to do in the meantime. When the time comes, towards the end of the build, to get the detail of the e-drive right, I'll be taking your valuable insights seriously indeed. Thanks.

Got the anchor locker sole and bulkhead filleted in last night. The anchor is a 15lb Manson Supreme, and the hoses coming through the sole are for the fuel fill and the fuel tank vent.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 am

I really like that anchor design. I plan to use the same anchor on my C21. I had a Danforth on my last boat and it did not hold great when current changed direction.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 am

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am
If the meter is installed between the controller and battery (which is what is seems like it should based on your explanation) you may want to consider not installing batteries until verifying the output of the controller in a reverse condition. If you reverse polarity into your lipos it could be ... unpleasant. You might be able to bench test this by connecting the emotor and controller, connecting a volt meter to the battery recharge lines, then spinning the emotor with large screw gun (yes it works, I've done it). I'd probably use a standard volt meter not the fancy one unless it can detect reversed polarity. I'd want to see the voltage stay the same polarity no matter which way I spun the motor. That would indicate that the motor controller is properly inverting the voltage in reverse.

I was also thinking, you could leverage the transmission linkage to throw a shutoff relay when you put the transmission in reverse. the relay would create a physical disconnect between the battery recharge circuit and the battery banks. A bit brute force, but it prevents you needing to do any emotor thinking if you have to get into reverse on the diesel in a hurry.
Good points, Could also put in an in-line rectifier to make sure the polarity always goes in one direction. This would be the cheaper solve, but it also gives you battery charging in reverse.
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:49 pm

That's a much better solution. Much better.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Go the J-J team. Thanks gents for solving problems while I sleep. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:14 am

Michael, where did you buy that anchor? Would a 15 lb anchor be sufficient to hold my boat?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:20 am

Lee, Whitworths sell the Manson Supremes.

To size the anchor, need to know a few things. How much does the Big Barra Boat weigh when fully loaded with gear, food and booze, passengers etc.? How much chain will your rode have? And what are the worst conditions (depth, seabed type, wind strength, swell size and tidal run) that you want to be confident that she will not drag anchor in?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:12 am

Hmmmmm, leave it with me. I'll put it over the weighbridge the next time it's loaded - and I'll give some thought to the other factors.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Lee went on the Manson site and a 10lb would be okay if your only going to use it for light use like lunch use, etc. But go to the 15lb for a true over night anchor. https://www.mansonanchors.com/files/136 ... 554626.pdf This is the main link to the Manson Supreme https://www.mansonanchors.com/products/ ... n-supreme/

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks Tom It's an overnight anchor that I'm after. I just use the spot lock on the Minn Kota for a lunch stop.