ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by cape man » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am

Something special when the sole gets put in. Knowing you'll never see all that again....

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:56 am

GB, I know you've stated it before, but are you running 2x24 banks in parallel or in series? Also wondering if you are mounting with connections vertical or horizontal. Been thinking about mounting strategy for easy cell replacement in my grandiose plan of a full e-boat...

topwater

Post by topwater » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

I don't know anything about installing batteries for electric drives but aren't you worried about heat build up with
batteries that close together :?: Boat is coming along great by the way .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 am

Most of the packs like that are designed for close housing. they have ridges to ensure adequate external airflow around casing, and most of some forced venting as well. If I recall correctly GB has force cool air supply from below the housing via sub sole ducting. If you start using the 1.6v cells then you have to be a bit more conscious... buy from a supplier that has smart encasement or much more focus on cooling.

At least that's what I've been seeing in my researches.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:56 am
GB, I know you've stated it before, but are you running 2x24 banks in parallel or in series? Also wondering if you are mounting with connections vertical or horizontal. Been thinking about mounting strategy for easy cell replacement in my grandiose plan of a full e-boat...
2 x 24banks in series, with the cell suppliers recommending mounting connections for each bank as per their graphic over my pic below.

topwater wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

I don't know anything about installing batteries for electric drives but aren't you worried about heat build up with
batteries that close together :?:
The suppliers of the 3.2V lithium ion cells have recommended that they be packed together as per the pic above.
topwater wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 am

Boat is coming along great by the way .
Thanks Topwater.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:54 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:47 am
Thanks Michael, it will be interesting to see how that compares with my boat on its Minn Kota Ulterra 112lb 36V trolling motor. I'll be able to tell you in a bit over 2 weeks.
Lee, I was checking where I was up to in January, and came across your quote above. What speed have you been able to achieve with the electric trolling motor?
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 am

Ha! I top out around 3 kts on the trolling motor Michael.

So I will need to get well ahead of Skinny Dip on the Yammie before I have to change to the trolling motor if I am to lead the way. :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Lee here in the states 3 kts is great for trolling for walleye and other fresh water fish. But when we go off shore we want to up the speed to 6-8 mph. It really depends on the fish you are going after and how they school.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 am

I've been delaying finalising a mounting approach for the e-motor controller, because I couldn't figure out a simple and bullet proof way of attaching the recycled finned heat sinks I'd purchased to the flat heat sink base of the controller. I was concerned that the heat transfer paste that was supposed to bond the two components may fail as a bonding agent and the two may part company.

The penny dropped a few days ago to let gravity do its thing.

The controller's heat sinks will be cooled by force-fed air from a cool air duct below. The hatching in the pic below shows where the cut out in e-motor locker sole will be located to provide access to incoming forced cool air. The two heat fins are set of to the side and upside down at this stage.

The two heat fins are then put into position ready to be bonded to the flat heat sink of the controller with heat paste.

After the e-motor controller has been placed over the finned heat sinks, it is snugged down against them with four screws running from its corners to and through the sole. Two of the fixing holes can just be seen in the base of the controller

A snug fitting box is then slid over the controller. The cool air being force-fed into the base of the box cannot escape upwards past the sides of the flat heat sink base of the controller.

In summary, forced cool air enters the bottom rear plenum chamber of the box through the slot in the sole, passes through the finned heat sinks and along the exposed flat heat sink of the controller, and exits through the holes on the lower front of the box.

Sea trials will determine if the approach works.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 am

Amazing work, just flat out amazing well thought out work.