FS14 Bayou boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest

FS14 Bayou boat

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 am

As some of you know my fishing partner and I went to Chicago to pick up Chris's boat hull and bought his trailer a few Mondays ago. I ordered the epoxy and wood flour from BBC to help complete the build. That will come in today!! I am also waiting on a oscillating tool to come in Tuesday from another company.

Somewhere on the 1100 mile trip back we ran over something that looks like oil and have a few spots on the sides of the hull. The hull has had some fairing done to it, still needs more, but is not primed or sealed. To remove the "oil" can I use just soap and water, a degreaser or goop be gone? I don't want to get moisture in the wood and affect the way the fairing and primer stick to it. It being oil it has had a chance to soak in. Maybe a round sanding bit and sand a pit in it then just fill it in with fillet glue?

Because we are going to be putting a sole in it I will be cutting the frames in the middle bench out and trimming them down to the 3" I will also remove the back frame to lay glass cloth down on the rest of the hull on the inside. It already came with the hull glassed and graphite bottom, very nice work Chris!

I will start taking pictures once I start on the boat, and figure out how to post them.

Have a great weekend!
Ken J

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Bayou boat

Post by Jaysen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:38 am

Soap and water of acetone/MEK type stuff will work. I’d avoid goo-b-gone though. Just make sure you give lots of time for the water to dry before you “add” more to that was washed.

If you think about it, the boat IS sealed. Epoxy is a water sealer. It’s the fairing compound that likely has micro balloons in it. This may be “broken” on the surface from sanding. The worst thing that would happen is that an open balloon would hold a bit of water.

If you look at the fairing instructional on the BBC forum it talks about cleaning the hull between sanding and applications. That should give you additional reassurance if you need it.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:38 am

These are the oil spots. It is on the faired areas!

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:34 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 am
As some of you know my fishing partner and I went to Chicago to pick up Chris's boat hull and bought his trailer a few Mondays ago. I ordered the epoxy and wood flour from BBC to help complete the build. That will come in today!! I am also waiting on a oscillating tool to come in Tuesday from another company.

Somewhere on the 1100 mile trip back we ran over something that looks like oil and have a few spots on the sides of the hull. The hull has had some fairing done to it, still needs more, but is not primed or sealed. To remove the "oil" can I use just soap and water, a degreaser or goop be gone? I don't want to get moisture in the wood and affect the way the fairing and primer stick to it. It being oil it has had a chance to soak in. Maybe a round sanding bit and sand a pit in it then just fill it in with fillet glue?

Because we are going to be putting a sole in it I will be cutting the frames in the middle bench out and trimming them down to the 3" I will also remove the back frame to lay glass cloth down on the rest of the hull on the inside. It already came with the hull glassed and graphite bottom, very nice work Chris!

I will start taking pictures once I start on the boat, and figure out how to post them.

Have a great weekend!
Ken J

Just maybe something here will help,

Vinegar.
Acetone.
Isopropyl Alcohol.
Paint Thinner.
Denatured Alcohol.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Thank you both so much for all the suggestions. Once I seen it better out in the sun today and Jaysen mentioned the fairing was epoxy the oil spots where showing signs of running. I think I will start by just soap and water. Also I could just do a light sanding too, correct, to remove anything that may stick into the fairing compound?

Had to put it back away to get ready for a weekend of working with the kayaks. For now it's back to trolling the internet!

Ken J

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Be careful sanding or you might spread the oil. I’d try to clean it with MEK or xylene and water to get as much off as I could. Then sand it if you have to. But keep the sanding focused. Better would be to us a dremil or other spot sander to remove just the messed up part. That shouldn’t be a problem silence you mentioned you need to finish fairing.

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:38 am
Soap and water of acetone/MEK type stuff will work. I’d avoid goo-b-gone though. Just make sure you give lots of time for the water to dry before you “add” more to that was washed.

If you think about it, the boat IS sealed. Epoxy is a water sealer. It’s the fairing compound that likely has micro balloons in it. This may be “broken” on the surface from sanding. The worst thing that would happen is that an open balloon would hold a bit of water.

If you look at the fairing instructional on the BBC forum it talks about cleaning the hull between sanding and applications. That should give you additional reassurance if you need it.
A worst case scenario, take the fairing down to the epoxy and refair.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 pm

The trick would be to remove the fairing without oiling everything. I’d think a wash followed by discrete removal would be a good start.

But as long as you get the crap off the hull the method is unimportant.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:26 am

Use a soap like Dawn that breaks down oil.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:01 am

If Acetone or Mek don't take it off nothing will .
Novi 23 finally launched !