River Belle

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Russ-T
New Poster
New Poster

Re: River Belle

Post by Russ-T » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:00 am

I would whole heartedly style her more like the Summer Kyle or Roseate. Those are good looking boats!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 am

Currently, the hull is exactly the same as the Atkins hull and I do not plan to change it.
Sorry but it is not an offshore boat, just a river boat that can go offshore in good weather. It is a displacement speed boat designed to cruise at 6 knots (7 mph).
We should not consider her as a larger TW28 despite her 35' length.
She would be an ideal boat for the Great Loop.
The boat is narrow and will not offer much in the way of accomodations.
See the Atkins design here:
http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Cruisers/RiverBelle.html

The plan was to adapt the original design to plywood-epoxy and supply more detailed plans for the hull. The Atkins plans are not easy to interpret.
The builder should start by purchasing the Atkins plans and I will supply a complementary set of drawings showing stations and developed panels plus scantlinsg for plywood-epoxy.
I may also sketch a different super structure.

Yesterday, I tried to model a layout similar to what I describe but the boat is too narrow. It looks like we are stuck with what Atkins designed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 am
Yesterday, I tried to model a layout similar to what I describe but the boat is too narrow. It looks like we are stuck with what Atkins designed.
I'm confident you will not get stuck Jacques! :D

With few nips and tucks, accommodations similar to your Down Easter 26 long cabin version should be possible, with the addition of a second forward facing seat across the aisle matching the forward facing helming seat.

Perhaps provide the option of carrying the cabin roofline all the way aft over the rear deck, and the ability to open up the saloon to the rear deck in good weather with bi fold doors?

A tender slung from davits across the stern is likely to be used more often than a roof mounted crane.

Looking forward to your accommodations design(s). :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 am

She would be an ideal boat for the Great Loop.
The boat is narrow and will not offer much in the way of accomodations.

Maybe I'm missing something but those two quotes imho would be two contradictions :doh: as I understood the great loop will take a minimum of a year to do it right? if so thanks I pass with not much accommodations offered.
Btw Why always redesigning that old antique stuff? I like to see a new modern design in S&G for a change

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 am

Jacques,

I realise this Tad Roberts raised deck cruiser is a 38 footer, and that with the River Belle's long and skinny hull form, side decks need to be kept narrow. But with strong hand rails on the cabin top to allow movement forward with one's arse outboard .....

I'd love to see River Belle re-interpreted above the water line somewhat like this.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

If I was to invest in a 35' river boat, this would be it.. Beautiful swan like lines Michael.
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks, that is a good example but the boat is much wider. The problem I have is the size. The River Belle may be 35' long but the beam is only about 8'.
I like wide and deep side decks but then I can't use that roof overhang because, as you said, I need grab rails on the roof unless I make it exceedingly high and that is ugly.
Plus I can't fit a nice vee berth forward. I am on those problems since 2 days.
Solution: I finish the engineering for the River Belle and try to resell the lofting job but I take the model and redesign her my way, much wider.
With a raised deck and with a beam of around 12', she will be enormous. The style would be classic raised deck.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Solution: I finish the engineering for the River Belle and ......... take the model and redesign her my way, much wider. With a raised deck and with a beam of around 12', she will be enormous. The style would be classic raised deck.
Jacques, this is going to be one interesting design project. Please post regular updates.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 pm

I shouldn't do it and stick to small boat plans that sell faster but I love this hull shape.

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 pm

jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:38 pm
I shouldn't do it and stick to small boat plans that sell faster but I love this hull shape.
Need to do something for fun once in a while. :D

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE