FS14, 3/10/18, Built by Jimmy in Bradenton, FL

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
jwreed3
New Poster
New Poster

FS14, 3/10/18, Built by Jimmy in Bradenton, FL

Post by jwreed3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am

Good morning fellow builders!

Before I begin with the details of my launch and my photographs, I must start with a short memoir about the origins of my little boat. I grew up on the Elk River in Clay, West Virginia. My grandpa, father, siblings and I spent many of our weekends and summer days riding up and down the river in aluminum Jon Boats with an assortment of small outboard motors. We would often go on day long fishing trips and weekend float/camping trips. Grandpa and Dad taught us a lot about fishing, boating, and most importantly about life.

Grandpa and I always had an old outboard we were rebuilding or a boat we were rigging up for fishing. His dream project was to build a wood/epoxy/fiberglass boat from the plans of an antique Popular Mechanics magazine. We did a lot of fishing and boating, but never got around to building his boat. My grandpa moved on to riding a much bigger River in 2004, and my father followed him in 2014. I'm sure they're looking down smiling as I pass along the Reed Family tradition for boating, fishing, exploring the outdoors, and for life to the next generation in Grandpa's Boat.

After 4 1/2 months in construction, I finally launched my modified FS14 yesterday with my oldest daughter Savannah. She performed well beyond my expectations. As you can see, I added a console with cable controls/Teleflex steering, a remote gas tank/battery in the bow, running lights, and some basic hardware. I powered her with a 2012 20 HP Yamaha LPA that I purchased on Cragslist from a gentleman who maintained it pristine condition.

It was a fairly choppy day in the Tampa Bay, but she stood up to the challenge. She is extremely light with a very shallow draft, great acceleration, and cuts on a dime. We started out in the intercoastals, but soon found our way out to the Skyway Bridge riding with dolphins. After several hours, we decided to drop by and pick up my mom in Saint Pete. We made our way out to Pass-a-Grille and took her several miles out into the Gulf. She rode pretty smoothly and cut through the waves. A storm was blowing it, so we made our way back with all the other boats. She kept pace with several boats riding on a plane with twin outboards! 5 hours on the water, and only 10 dollars of gasoline burned.

I'll need to make a few modificiations over the next several weeks, but overall a fantastic launch!
IMG_0228.jpg
Finally leaving the garage
Attachments
IMG_1433.JPG
Takin grandma for a cruise
IMG_0250.jpg
Looking classy on the beach
IMG_0248.jpg
Enjoying the outdoors
IMG_0238.jpg
Nearing the Skyway
IMG_0232.jpg
Cruising with my daughter
IMG_0230.jpg
Natural captain
IMG_0229.jpg
Into the water

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14, 3/10/18, Built by Jimmy in Bradenton, FL

Post by Bogieman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 am

She looks great! Congratulations! And the backstory was nice too.

Bogie

jwreed3
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jwreed3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 am

Thanks! It was a fun (and humbling) project. I learned a lot during the process. Definitely rides a lot better than an aluminum jon boat! Still needs a name though...

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:03 am

Hi,
Congratulations on launching your boat. You are a wizzard to build it finished in 4 1 / 2 months including some mods. I am a grandfather who is just now finishing the 3 rd boat for the 3 rd grandchild and I also cherish the Popular Mechanics magazines of your grandfather and sometimes page thru them. Looks like grandfathers are all the same around the world they try to bring up their kids to become good people and try to take an interest in something like boating.
Wish you and your family still lots of fun with the boat and keep up the boating tradition of your family and because you skipped the building thread most probably to get a quick splash do supply all forum members with future pictures of your boating trips. We all will enjoy it.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 am

Looking good!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Nice looking build! Hope to see you out on the bay some day!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Nice build and story!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Great story and love the boat. Makes me want to get my build on the water faster!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Jimmy nice FS14. It sounds like you have her running pretty good but if you would like me to check speed vs. HP vs prop pitch possible I would be glad to do so for you to see if you have the optimum propeller on her.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jwreed3
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jwreed3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm
Jimmy nice FS14. It sounds like you have her running pretty good but if you would like me to check speed vs. HP vs prop pitch possible I would be glad to do so for you to see if you have the optimum propeller on her.

Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the offer. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Thanks!