Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 am

Hello Everyone! I've been lurking on this site for a couple months now. My name is Jon and I'm out of Mt Juliet TN (sub of Nashville) I just bought my first boat a couple weeks ago as a project. A 1978 Webbcraft 22' something... company went out of business so kind of hard finding info on it. Its not that easy on the eyes at the moment but hopefully with your help I can turn this boat around and save it.

I've already begun the demo and most of what I thought was correct but did have a few surprises. The motor wasn't winterized so the block (350) is cracked on both sides but I'll just replace it with a long block. The outboard was pulled and will need to be gone through. The bellows will need to be rebuilt. The deck had about 2 feet of compost and a 5' tree growing out of the boat so sole and most of the upholstery is shot except for the buckets look like they can be cleaned up. and wow I've never seen so many snails! The wiring looks like they have done a lot of late night repairs on the water... it was full of water and the foam was soaked. I thought the transom was in good shape but after degreasing everything I can see that it just had a really good shell on it but core samples show it to be wet and rotten. Also its loose around the keyhole to the hull. However to my surprise the transom and the sole are the only places I see wood. The stringers are actually all glass with a foam core. I'll have to cutout about 12" of the back where it attaches to the transom so I can inspect what the inside looks like. I suspect the engine mounts have wood too but will do a little more discovery this weekend.

I don't have any boat repair or glass experience but I'm a quick study. After looking at all the great projects you guys have shared I feel confident I can bring her back. However, convincing my wife may be more of a challenge... she assumes I paid someone to haul off their junk. She is probably right.

Anyway this is what i drug home tree removed... I'll add more pic's this weekend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vbEenvoyE5n9k6A6

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Webbcraft 22' Boat rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 am

Don't demo anything!

Stop!

Stop!

Hundreds of hours lost if you do things wrong.

Clean it up and remove anything bolted down amd take some pictures and ask what to do next.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 am

Your wife was also right. This is a free boat; not one you pay money to get.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 am

Based on my cursory research, they are a higher end ski boat built in Oklahoma in the 70's and 80's. Plywood encapsulated in polyester.
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 am
Don't demo anything!

Stop!

Stop!

Clean it up and remove anything bolted down amd take some pictures and ask what to do next.
YES! x 1000

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 am

Marshall Moser wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 am
Based on my cursory research, they are a higher end ski boat built in Oklahoma in the 70's and 80's. Plywood encapsulated in polyester.
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 am
Don't demo anything!

Stop!

Stop!

YES! x 1000
Ply hull in poly?

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks for the fast responses. I've already done a good bit of work but most things structural is still intact except the deck but it was just falling apart... I can recoup my initial investment with just the parts pulled so no worries there but if you tell me its a prop for jaws I'll stop while I'm ahead :oops:

i believe its a poly hull and seems to be 1/4 thick.

Here are more pictures. I'm sure there is a better way to share than this.

This is the album while I figure out a good way to share pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/coN1FHCh83E6Rso96

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:07 pm

I think more than likely the hull is solid glass with plywood transom, stringers and decks.
There seems to be some question about the hull and that needs to be resolved before moving on.
You will be doing a lot of glassing if you rebuild this hull so a little more is no big deal.
I would take a small hole saw and cut a couple of holes in the hull. The plugs will tell you what you need to know before moving on.
I will admit I mind cutting holes in the hull a lot less than most folks :lol:

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Don'ts.

1. Don't remove any glass from the outside of the hull. Transom repairs are best done from the inside.

2. Don't do any repairs until you determine if the boat has a balsa core.

3. Don't cut the sole out all the way to the edge.

Do's

1. Do determine with absolute certainty if the hull has balsa core.

2. Do remove rotten sole and determine health of stringers.

See picture.

Line on left is approximate cut line. Like Fuzz says cut some holes in the left X to determine whether hull underneath is solid or delaminated.

I can't add a picture, so bop over to my thread to see your oic marked up. It will be there in Ten minutes.

JonNMtJuliet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JonNMtJuliet » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:20 pm

I just went and looked again I had a spot I got too close to the hull with the sawzall :x and went all the way through. however, its complete glass no wood. As well as no wood to be found in the stringers they are about 6" wide and hollow with foam. The inside of the hull looks really good all things considered some fibers loose in a couple areas but looks to be from the factory that way no delam. I'll try to get some better pictures.

Besides my cut through I'm not sure I'm brave enough to put holes in my hull... 8O

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:34 pm

So the stringers are good?

That is sort of good news, but might complicate the transom repair.

Do you have access to the transom replacement without removing the cap?

That is the big question. I have not done a cap lift, so someone else needs to comment if you plan to take the cap up or off all the way.