Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by cape man » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:51 pm

I was always a Garmin guy until they started selling their own proprietary maps and a unit needing repair was discontinued shorty after the warranty expired. I bought a Hummingbird GPS/depth finder unit that uses, and came loaded with Navionics and I love it. You can mount it with the supplied bracket mount, or flush in the face of the console. I have a fuel gauge and tach and a VHF radio. There are also connections and switches for bilge pump, bait well pump, and night lights under the gunwales and inside the bait well (same switch). Oh yeah...there's another set of wires and a switch just below the head of the throttle arm for the hydraulic jack plate. Don't know anything about Spot or Inreach...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:44 pm

cape man wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:51 pm
Don't know anything about Spot or Inreach...
They are basically a personal ELT with tracking and extras.
They transmit gps cords every 2-5min and momma, wife, girlfriend, interested friend, etc.. can watch your movement on the map at home on pc or phone.
The simplest comes with 3 buttons, 'OK', 'Need help but not life threatning', 'Emergency (sent not just to contacts specified, but to rescue services as well).
The more complex ones pair with your phone and can send/receive typed messages on demand.

They are commonly used by hikers, but all of our pilots have them and some contracts we have with a couple of planes require the hardwired spidertracks installed.

We will probably just buy a hiking one(looks like a small walkitalkie) but if there was an affordable permanent mount one, I would be interested in looking at it atleast. After the initial installation 2-300 a year is probably worth it for peace of mind for momma.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:15 pm

To me if I depend on a motor to get me to and from then I want to know it's status. TEMP light, OIL pressure light are a must! My little Suzuki (when I get it) has them but I will be adding a tach that puts them at the console. VOLT meter to tell me the charging system and batteries are ok. Next would be depth, direction and speed (GPS/FF combo). Because I will be in coastal waters and around larger boats (ICW) I want a VHF that tells others where I'm at and I know where they are and where they are headed. Nav lights and 360 white light will be mounted on the boat, so it's always there.

KISS to me is getting seated at the helm, push a button and the motor lowers into the water, hit a key and she comes to life, move a level one way it goes that way and the more I move it the faster she goes. I want to glace down and know there is water under the keel, no red lights on and that everything is worry free.

As far as rod holders, ask the young man that fishes where he thinks they should be. :wink:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 pm

Just got quoted $6167 for a new Mercury 60hp in Anchorage.
Sent a bunch of requests for quotes around this morning, but that seems promising.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Narfi, I do not know the Mercury brand very well, but comparing that price to a Yamaha, that seems very reasonable!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Was that quote from BassPro? I think they are a dealer in Anchorage now. If not them it is one of the other big chain sports outlets.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Yep the bass pro tracker boat shop.
They are roughly 2 blocks from Merrill field, so a great location for me to buy from.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 am

But what dI'd it include?

I checked with Basspro a whIle back and the motor was reasonable, but the controls, wiring harness, guages, prop, and rigging were another nearly $2k.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am

Narfi,

Sea tow guy told my buddy that most tow ins are boats with either Yami or Merc. I would not want either and very good point about controls, tach, prop adding substantial $ to the deal.

Do you Sea Tow in Alaska or some similar service to rescue boaters whose engines quit?

Regards
Tom