Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's FS17 - Build Thread

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Bilge pump, splash rails, gunwales.

Scuppers are for boats you can't attend to and boats in heavy seas.

Ask one question.

Do I need the boat to drain itself.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:33 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm
Ask one question.

Do I need the boat to drain itself.
The answer is yes.
Not from swamping but from rain. I have borrowed too many boats filled with water I needed to spend a half hour bailing out and getting pushed out into the water, I dont want to deal with that either beached or in a a trailer, draining underway seems a given to me.

Here is what Jacques has to say about it in the study plans and what sold me on these boats.
In all versions, the sole is well above the waterline and the cockpit is self draining. Note the high designed displacement: it places the waterline just below the cockpit sole at level trim. Most FS17 will never be loaded to that point and their draft will be less than the 7" listed.
I am ok with plugging the drain holes if overloaded, but it is my hope that any jump in and go with 1 or 2 people will be as simple as possible.

They can not go out the back, the motorwell and side compartment floors are above the level of the sole. I do not and did not want any holes, tubes, hoses, etc.. under any part of my sealed floors. If there is nothing there, there is nothing to fail and leak.

By the way, I welcome rabbit trails in my threads, it's a good way to learn and discuss :)

6oz layed on the bottom of the motorwell and side compartments.

Finished taping in the rounded seat boxes.

Coated most of the installed supports with epoxy.

Glued in reinforcement angle for the bow eye with wood flour thickened epoxy and covered with 2x layers of 12oz tape. I cut the reinforcement from left over triangle I had cut for the strakes and used my 1/2" radius roundover bit in my router to make it fit as well as possible. Of course there was still plenty of gaps to fill with thickened epoxy but i think it turned out ok.

First coat of fairing applied to the bow compartment, compartment under front deck and inside both console base boxes.
20180929_220838.jpg
20180929_220811.jpg
20180929_220938.jpg
20180929_220922.jpg
20180929_220902.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:37 am

Looking very good Narfi. Your thinking seems sound on "nothing there, there is nothing to fail and leak".
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 am

I have side drains in the back corners of the deck made from 1" PVC couplings, and another 1" coupling in the center that goes to the very small bilge in the motor well. I did not raise my sole, but wish I had. At rest, empty, she self bails in the rain, barely now that I upgraded from the 40 to a 70. Fill the bait well or add the cooler under the leaning post and the scuppers are under.

The scuppers and drain to bilge are easily plugged with a standard rubber, lever style plug. As soon as she is on plane they drain easily and quickly.

Next time out I want to run a test in shallow water. Drain to bilge plugged, scuppers open with bait well and cooler full. I want to see how far she goes down before it equalizes. I'm thinking an inch of water in the back and it won't reach the console.

For now I plug the scuppers at anchor and open the drain to the bilge. I spend extra time and attention to the 500gph bilge pump and auto switch! I want to run the test in case I am somewhere where I can't fix the bilge pump but need to park her in the rain.

Due to safety issues, Jacques is against raising the sole more than an inch, but I am not alone in over building one of his boats and losing the self bailing feature. If I ever build another I will either; 1) build it as light and simple as possible; or 2) raise the stringers and bulkheads 2". I don't like wet feet in a boat, and our water is hot compared to yours!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 am

Cape man,

You are not alone with the scupper issue. I have had the same problem on the FS-19. It is one of the only things that I wish I had done differently.

Regards,
Jordy

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:28 pm

cape man wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 am
I have side drains in the back corners of the deck made from 1" PVC couplings, and another 1" coupling in the center that goes to the very small bilge in the motor well. I did not raise my sole, but wish I had. At rest, empty, she self bails in the rain, barely now that I upgraded from the 40 to a 70. Fill the bait well or add the cooler under the leaning post and the scuppers are under.
The yamaha f70 (is that what you have?) Is one I considered but is a few pounds heavier than the merc 60 I will install. I see you have a jack plate which puts that weight further back as well.

I am curious how your boat is balanced empty as well as loaded. I would imagine with a heavier motor further back as well as pumps and assorted extras that the bow sits high at rest? This would in turn force the stern down to compensate for that lack of boyancy?
I don't know, at this point it is all academic for me, will be fun putting it to practice in reality.

I am not using a jack plate, no billage pump, no bait well, and no iced coolers.
My extra weight is in having a dual console instead of a single. That weight is pretty close to the center of gravity however and house my fuel and battery.

In my simple mind I see an 8x8 floating dock, it can hold a bunch of teens and horseplay and stay above water, but stick just 3 or 4 guys in one corner and it goes under water a little.
Add 4 guys to the other corner and the whole thing is dry...

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:35 pm

I have a lot of weight aft. Only thing up front is the fuel tank and anchors. Two batteries mid ship and then jackplate, hydraulic motor for same, leaning post, cooler, motor, and sometimes 15 gallons of water in bait well...all aft. I like the layout and again, if I had raised the sole 2 inches...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:05 pm

The PPI is all based on level loading. The smaller the boat the harder that is to achieve. My dory is like Capeman's. It will drain at rest empty but I need to plug the scuppers when people get in it. Our dories are bigger than an FS17 is so I am pretty sure you are going to have the same issue.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:06 am

Wear rubber boots, (we call them gumboots here). Problem solved. Can't imagine you not getting wet feet with side scuppers. With a PPI 330 the side drains will be 1-2" above the waterline at most for the lightest possible weight.

Still think elephant trunks the best solution, but they need to face backwards. Oh well I'm sure you'll sort something.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:28 am

Like I said. I dont mind plugging the holes.
I am not putting any holes, cables, wires, tubes, ANYTHING under my sealed floors. The motorwell and side compartments are above the sole level, therefor I wont be draining out the back.
Maybe I'm stuborn. Ok I know I am :) but if I dont mind plugging the holes I really dont see the difference between the back and the sides if I'm plugging them anyways. The main difference is out the sides they are more easily accessible to install or remove plugs.

Landon turned 9 yesterday. Kids, pizza, donuts and ice cream. Was a little windy and the party was outside so had to crowd everyone into the clubhouse to light the cake candles, all good fun though.
20181002_072613.jpg
Leaves are turning and water level is down, but dry creek isnt dry yet. Probably could have crossed it with my Honda when I was down that direction but decided to save my bearings and walked instead.