The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: The Plytanic 2.0 - FS17 Build

Post by silentneko » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 am

Back to work. I have some stuff I did before deployment I never got to post and a little work since.

I bonded down the rest of the floor. I did this part different, I joined the panels together then installed it as a single unit. In my opinion this was way easier then installing a floor in multiple parts and I wish I did it with the whole sole. I think it would be stronger too.

I am working on building the livewell. It will be just over 10 gallons when done. I recessed the drain, and a spray head will go offset on top.

I'm working on filling and filleting the floor edges. I like to do larger gaps like this in 2 stages to avoid sagging issues in the final product. The first thickened epoxy I put down is heavily mixed with milled fibers for additional structural strength. I use a putty knife to flatten it down and make sure it fills the void well. Then I'll go back over it with my normal fillet mix and make the radius.

I did some other small things like flush and round the edge around the battery tray opening. I'll cut down the chase tubes once I'm all done glassing the area.

Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Nice Silentneko!!! Jeff

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Very nice work. Love the livewell. 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks. I'm trying to decide how I will mount the spray head. I'm thinking offset to the side and slightly tilted so it's more directional into the corner. My thinking is this will help circulate the water by moving it counter clockwise as well as spray downward.

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:36 am

Spray the water as far along the surface as you can as the water/air interface is where gas exchange occurs.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:23 pm

It is going to depend on the system you decide on. There are several systems by Keep Alive and others. There are systems that add air into the stream of water. So do your home work and make a decision on what bait your going to be using.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm just using a typical spray head, it's been effective for shrimp and green backs. My thought is that it sprays down at a roughly 30 degree angle, so if I tilt it slightly it will spray directly down and also into the side of the tank away from the overflow.

I'm still playing catch up from being gone on a lot of things, and I'm running down a punch list before getting to the decks and console.

Here's a closer look at the scupper tubes. They dish out just a little below the level of the deck so they should keep it clear of any standing water.

I foamed the voids behind the livewell sides, they are rock solid. I also filleted and glassed the sides in, and added a backing plate for the sprayhead.

The floor was filleted and then I laid out my glass.

So I glassed the floor, and it came out well. Mostly.

I ran into an issue that I keep coming back to. The okoume is not rigid enough for some applications. The floor in the rear, even with 6oz glass bottom and top still has some flex. I fixed this issue up front with additional supports, but all I can do to the rear is add glass. I added another layer overlapping the area with flex, but it still has a little left. I think ill do one more smaller layer in the middle.

The last thing I did was correct an issue I've had for a while. This stems back to the off square problem I had with the plywood early on and the corrections I tried to make. Some worked out better then others. Basically my gunnel had a hump in it from where I reshaped them. I used a piece of composite molding to scribe a better line and then ground it down. My rub rail has a concave hump, I'll use the same piece of molding to create a dam to fill and make it more level.

That's all for now.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Again, nice progress!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Everything is looking good!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:14 pm

I know it is a little late to say this but to stiffen decks the glass on the underside of a core is what does most of the work. Most of us add glass on top for wear and puncture resistance but it is only a small help for stiffening.