"I wish I had..."

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: "I wish I had..."

Post by terrulian » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 am

After some consideration, I've decided that I've got no regrets about the design I chose, the level of finish I labored over, the color, or even the use of the boat. When I started building I wasn't sure what level of perfection I'd shoot for, or if I'd actually go rowing very often or whether I would like it; I just wanted to do the build. But it has in fact opened up a whole new way of exploring the area I live in, which I had pretty thoroughly familiarized myself with by foot, car, bicycle, sailboat, and power boat. Now I've been a bunch of places that very few people have laid eyes on, all right in my own back yard. I did make some mistakes and had to do certain things--mostly fairing and painting--infinitely more slowly, tediously, and repetitively than if I'd known what I was doing. I chose a modest one-part paint instead of the higher end paints a lot of you prefer. But as I envisaged, the boat has taken a bit of a beating and has some dings and scratches that are more or less impossible to avoid in a seagoing vessel. But after all that frustrating sanding, it was still bittersweet when I moved the boat out of the shop and could no longer just step outside a few steps to enjoy it. I wish the boat were lighter but I've discussed this elsewhere and if I built it again, it would be just as heavy.

Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:23 pm

terrulian wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 am
After some consideration, I've decided that I've got no regrets about the design I chose, the level of finish I labored over, the color, or even the use of the boat. When I started building I wasn't sure what level of perfection I'd shoot for, or if I'd actually go rowing very often or whether I would like it; I just wanted to do the build. But it has in fact opened up a whole new way of exploring the area I live in, which I had pretty thoroughly familiarized myself with by foot, car, bicycle, sailboat, and power boat. Now I've been a bunch of places that very few people have laid eyes on, all right in my own back yard. I did make some mistakes and had to do certain things--mostly fairing and painting--infinitely more slowly, tediously, and repetitively than if I'd known what I was doing. I chose a modest one-part paint instead of the higher end paints a lot of you prefer. But as I envisaged, the boat has taken a bit of a beating and has some dings and scratches that are more or less impossible to avoid in a seagoing vessel. But after all that frustrating sanding, it was still bittersweet when I moved the boat out of the shop and could no longer just step outside a few steps to enjoy it. I wish the boat were lighter but I've discussed this elsewhere and if I built it again, it would be just as heavy.
Here is a man who built a boat, enjoyed the process, and is now using the boat in more ways than he had envisioned. It just does not get any better than that :D

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:07 pm

I wish I had not bought the LM18 from Mc_Fly. I really wanted to build the C17 (Classic 17). But building another boat is just fun no matter what best layed plan was not followed!
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

Building now, LM18 Low sheer Round Chine

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:28 am

Sorry, I’ve got nothing for you. I have no regrets about any aspect of my boat.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:56 am

I wish I had build my bait well the same way Silentneko built his. I did mine backwards.

piperdown
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:04 am

One more, well 2.
I wish I had started the GF16 earlier this year like around March or April to have had a bit more time or (alternatively) 2; got off my butt and got the sub panel installed in the garage at the start of fall......
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 am

I wish i hadn’t sold my GV15 :cry: . I also wish I bought a house with a garage! I’m ready to start building again :help:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:04 pm

wegcagle wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 am
I wish i hadn’t sold my GV15 :cry: . I also wish I bought a house with a garage! I’m ready to start building again :help:

Will
I bet you do, that was one fine looking boat! It would make me crazy if I did not have a place to work :help:

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 pm

topwater wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:53 am
Paid an auto body person to fair my hull :!: I had one come look at it and give me a price,
i could have paid him with the money i would have saved in wasted fairing and sandpaper and time :wink:
:lol:

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Bought a bigger car so I could've built a bigger sailboat (VG18) :lol: