MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:16 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 am
Very exciting to see you start your LM18!! It looks like it will fit under the carport but do you have room to work on it? The Sand Piper looks so forgotten in the background. :cry:

I bought a flat bottom boat cover from Academy to cover the hull of the FS14 up when we went to Chicago and brought it back. I got the one with all the straps and it held up great. At times my spare driver was hitting 80MPH while I was trying to sleep. Point is you can tighten the straps down enough for the water to roll off it if it rains with no pooling. It was somewhere around < $70.00 :doh: I think

Thanks, will get one. I was going to build a tent with sides in the backyard, but thought better of it.

SandPiper is just fine. She will see water this weekend.
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.


FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:17 am

Bogieman wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 am
Wow CaptUB you are ambitious!

OQ, I could use a form fitting tarp like that too. Early on it was a pain in the but to keep the water from pooling and sinking my tarp into the boat. I've got it figured out now.
Photos on what you did......
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: Jan 6, the build begains....LM18

Post by Bogieman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 am

Capt UB wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:17 am
Bogieman wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 am
Wow CaptUB you are ambitious!

OQ, I could use a form fitting tarp like that too. Early on it was a pain in the but to keep the water from pooling and sinking my tarp into the boat. I've got it figured out now.
Photos on what you did......
I inserted a 2x4 vertically into the slot in the keel trunk then put a plastic Tupperware bowl on top of the 2x4 (like a hat) to eliminate the sharp edge, then put the tarp on and strapped her down. Works great and it only cost me $20.
Attachments
Tarp.jpg

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Strongback on roll around base done. Ready for stations setup in morning.
0111191604~2.jpg
0111191603~2.jpg
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: Jan 6, the build begains....LM18

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Nice!

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm
Nice!
It's heavier then the finished boat!
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Myrtle Beach

Re: Jan 6, the build begains....LM18

Post by Bogieman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm
Bogieman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm
Nice!
It's heavier then the finished boat!
I bet it is. That thing looks big!

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Glued up transom pieces. The CnC transom comes with cutouts for the stringer and knees, just the inside piece. The transom outside top edge, was off.... More work for me later. I'll use my router to quickly fix that. Starting to cutout CnC stringer pieces to glue up today.
0112191301a~2.jpg
0112191301c~2.jpg
0112191301d~4.jpg
1547317493461.jpg
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, FL
Location: Central Florida, U.S.A.

MY BUILD LOG OF MY LM18 RCLS

Post by Capt UB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 am
Very exciting to see you start your LM18!! It looks like it will fit under the carport but do you have room to work on it? The Sand Piper looks so forgotten in the background. :cry:

I bought a flat bottom boat cover from Academy to cover the hull of the FS14 up when we went to Chicago and brought it back. I got the one with all the straps and it held up great. At times my spare driver was hitting 80MPH while I was trying to sleep. Point is you can tighten the straps down enough for the water to roll off it if it rains with no pooling. It was somewhere around < $70.00 :doh: I think
OQ
What model # is your cover for your FS14. I'm going to buy one this weekend, online or at the store.
Thanks, Bob.
Last edited by Capt UB on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FS14 SandPiper Launched 2018
LM18 LS RC Building

Never trust advice from someone who does not have a few bags of wood flour around the shop!

There are times that a belt sander with 32 grit can be like an artist brush.
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>

User avatar
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1472
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Jan 6, the build begains....LM18

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Capt UB wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 am
Very exciting to see you start your LM18!! It looks like it will fit under the carport but do you have room to work on it? The Sand Piper looks so forgotten in the background. :cry:

I bought a flat bottom boat cover from Academy to cover the hull of the FS14 up when we went to Chicago and brought it back. I got the one with all the straps and it held up great. At times my spare driver was hitting 80MPH while I was trying to sleep. Point is you can tighten the straps down enough for the water to roll off it if it rains with no pooling. It was somewhere around < $70.00 :doh: I think
OQ
What model # is your cover for your FS14. I'm going to buy one this weekend, online or at the store.
Thanks, Bob.
I don't have the box anymore but it says "B" on the cover. I thought I paid close to $70.00 for it but I found it online for less.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine ... atid=11182
This one is 150 denier marine-grade fabric but for closer to $80.00 you can get it with 300 denier.
We put the cheap one on before we left Chicago and like I said, at times was going 80mph with it. Once I got it to Houston I didn't see any rips or damage of any kind. I would keep it on the boat in the warehouse due to the inside of the boat was still bare wood and the warehouse would leaks on it when it rains. But since I have the hull (inside) coated with glass I don't put it back on.

I did put some foam on the bow to keep the sharp tip of the bow from poking through it. It has a very stiff bungee that runs through the bottom, I put a carabiner to hold the ends together and then just put it over the boat like a fitted sheet. Then clipped all the straps where they tighten on the same side. I ran the straps under the trailer tongue and bunks because the straps are really long. Once in Houston I cut off the extra and melted the ends so they wouldn't fray.

For keeping the water from pooling I tighten the back straps first and then starting at the front tighten each strap. Crank up the trailer so water runs off the back.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests