BBC's fairing mix

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

BBC's fairing mix

Post by Capt UB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm

I have a bag of BBC's fairing mix. I work well with 6 oz of epoxy (MarinEpoxy/slow hardener), what amount of fairing mix do I add? If not amount, what consistency should I work with?

><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: BBC's fairing mix

Post by Jaysen » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Add mix till it fits the need.

I used a “runny” mix for filling weave and gouges. Think lots of epoxy. That makes that part a bit harder.

I used a “ketchup” mix to fill low spots. Speeds fast and settles a bit and it pretty hard.

I made “frosting” for the final coats. Sands like balsa wood. Saves on epoxy.

I think I just did what Cracker Larry told me to do in a private email. I’m not smart enough to figure that out on my own.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 am

Where you starting at Capt.

First coat Ketchup. Get it on and fill the weave. Use a large wide trowel. Do only the bottom.
Sand smooth.
Second coat
Mayonaise cover the bottom again. Let it dry and do a guide coat before sanding. Sand and it will show your highs and lows fill in your lows and then sand again. Do another guide coat and you should have a near perfect bottom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks guys..

Just looking for consistency most use for plain jane fairing with the BBC's Fairing mix. Don't want to waste the QuickFair I have left on shaping the bow.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 am

TomW, when you say guide coat I am assuming something with a contrast in color and cheaper, what would that be? :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 am
TomW, when you say guide coat I am assuming something with a contrast in color and cheaper, what would that be? :doh:
Spray paint.

Guide coat is a film of contrasting color that when applied over a repaired area, will get in to all the scratches, pinholes and flaws in the surfaces that that are being repaired . As the guide coat is block sanded it will make the high and low areas stand out and be easily seen, and also tell you weather or not the surface is flat and straight and that any contours are the proper shape. If a whole car is primed it will insure that when the final sanding is done , any missed areas can easily be seen.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_use_guide_coat

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Oh ok. Like a cheap flat paint that sands easy and doesn't clog the sand paper as easy. :wink:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm

I used to recommend the fast dry Krylon in a bright blue. Keep your arm moving and create spots not a solid coat. But you can also use a dusting of graphite powder if you are going to do a graphite/epoxy bottom. It is really up to you. The graphite is hard to use on the sides. There is now a guide coat paint out, this is one brand http://www.tcpglobal.com/SEM-38203_5.ht ... F3xBfZFw5s

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978