Bateau designs Rip off?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Bateau designs Rip off?

Post by Fuzz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 am

Found this add on craigs list. It seems like they might want to sell boats based on the designs from here.
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/d/ ... 32191.html

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bateau designs Rip off?

Post by BB Sig » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 am

:x Dirty rats!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:29 am

Just terrible!!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 pm

He's got another ad here, with a phone number if you wanted to call him and talk about it:

https://alaskaslist.com/-3/posts/9_Gene ... trial.html

Linkedin profile says he is a satellite technician for his day job.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-coughtry-79016b71

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am

Thank you for the information!! Let me discuss with Jacques!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 am

Jeff wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am
Thank you for the information!! Let me discuss with Jacques!! Jeff
Jeff, can you guys look up and see if he has bought any plans from BBC? What I understand is if someone buys a set of plans they can use them to build one boat. And there is nothing wrong building it and then selling it. I can see an issue with the guy using the plans from one boat and then building more than one boat without buying the plans again or just using bootleg copies of the JM or anyone's plans. Also when selling boats to the public like he seems to be doing doesn't he need to be inspected as a commercial builder by USCG or some other government agency? Seems there are a lot of facts missing before judgment can be cast. :doh:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 am

I dunno, some of those pics look like others I've seen as stock photos from other sites :doh:
I'm pretty sure I saw that runabout somewhere else.

Regardless JM and BBC should look into it.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 am

OQ, yes, we can verify that plans were purchased & there is absolutely nothing wrong with him buying the plans and building boats for purposes of selling them. Jacques requires one plan - one boat or if the builder wants to start building the boats to sell them, Jacques has a plan to make the buying of future plans more cost conservative!! Jacques has fought guys since opening the business for guys that buy his plans and then call the design theirs!! Hard to fight that as no one wins but the lawyers!! We will watch this as he has clearly used some of our (or our builders photos) to market his business!! Thank all of you for the help in monitoring these issues, your assistance is most appreciated!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 pm

As Jeff says, anybody can start a business building custom boats and those boats can be based on our plans. As long as he pays the design fee, it's fine.
I see boats from different designers in his ad: he probably does not want to limit himself to our designs.
He should ask permission before using our pictures but those pictures come from some of our builder's blogs. I assume they would agree.

If I was a customer, I would check his credentials. He goes all over the place with boat types and materials, I wonder how much experience he really has. He also advertises kits. I would never buy a kit from somebody who does not work closely with the designer. There is more to our kits than just copying some files to a CNC program. All legitimate kit manufacturers that we compete with, work very closely with the designers.
Same for the builders: we had one OD16 fiberglass builder who used chopped strand. The boats were heavy and flexed. They did not perform at all like the original design but the builder knew better.

I have gone to court for royalties and won each time but in most cases, the builder went bankrupt before I could collect. A business based on dishonesty does not last.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:11 pm

If it turns out that he IS up to no good, you're not totally without options short of the courts, because Alaska is still a fairly small place population wise, and Wasilla / the Mat-Su valley smaller still. If he's advertising on CL and Alaskaslist, he's probably on some of the local forums too so that raises the possibility of publicly calling him out in front of other locals if you wanted to go down that road. Up here word gets around about people who are frauds and/or thieves.

But I agree that more information is needed. The impression I get is that he is just shopping around looking to get somebody to pay him to build a boat. Nothing wrong with that on the face of it as long as everybody gets what they are supposed to.