GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am

If there is a more authentic, no bullshit, heart warming build video on Bateau2, I'm not aware of it.

I'm a latecomer now hooked on this build.

Congratulations on what you're achieving! :D

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:10 am

Hey, thanks for the kind words on the video!

Been knocked flat for two weeks with illness so no progress to report since the flip, but hoping to get back at it this weekend taping interior seams and fiberglassing the floor. Happy Friday all!
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:52 am

wkisting wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:10 am
Hey, thanks for the kind words on the video!

Been knocked flat for two weeks with illness so no progress to report since the flip, but hoping to get back at it this weekend taping interior seams and fiberglassing the floor. Happy Friday all!
Hope you do feel better and don't try pushing yourself before your body is ready! But, I can't speak for everyone but I am excited to see more progress on your build.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am

That was an awesome viewing! Very well done! Really shows the method for stitch and glue.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you for posting that video, nicely done.
I can't wait to see the little girls on board during the 1st cruise.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:54 pm

I too enjoyed the video. I am always impressed when I see the wife involved with the build. My wife wants nothing to do with the building part but she will go fishing no matter the weather :D

cjjohn
New Poster
New Poster

Post by cjjohn » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Thank you for the video, I love seeing your entire family involved! After a couple of years of lurking and researching this helped motivate me to finally go on a build myself. Thank you.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:57 am

Awesome video Wes! Hope you get better quickly.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling much better and managed to get a little boat work done this weekend. Taped all inside seams. Unfortunately, I'll have to re-do the taping down the centerline (which means grinding it off again.... grrr). Stupidly, I laid that run early in the (cool) morning yesterday. When I came back in the afternoon, the temperature had surged and the inside had heated so hot under the plastic cover that it caused the wood/epoxy to off-gas much more than usual, resulting in huge bubbles under the tape. All other seams came out beautifully though, so it could be worse. A power planer should make reasonably quick work of it, just frustrating to have to re-do the work. I guess it's a good time to be reminded to do fiberglass work in the latter half of the day as temps begin to cool... especially as I prepare to lay fiberglass on the entire interior floor.

I also got all the parts for the floor stringers cut out, though I'm going to wait and glue them up next weekend.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi all,

Quick progress update: Got the interior seams all taped and the interior floor completely 'glassed. The latter was a big job, and very awkward near the bow as it was exasperating to get the cloth to lay flat while crawling on top of it. The slope of the hull made the glass layers want to slide aft under my body weight, especially once wet out with (slippery) epoxy. In the end, it came out great though.

Hoping to make progress on the floor beams this week if the weather cooperates, then we'll take next week off for a hike on the Appalachian Trail. We've been section hiking it with the girls since last year and are about 55 miles in from Springer Mtn, at Indian Grave Gap. We're going to try the next 20 miles to Blue Ridge Gap this time. It's a beautiful trail and good to get the girls out there in the wilderness. They do well and make a lot of new friends on the trail.
Wes