1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Post by MSRiver » Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 pm

In a predicament I can't decide if i should epoxy the blocks on the hull or cap first. At that im trying to also figure out which is the best way to make sure the cap is level to the boat. Trying to do everything while the cap is on the boat is going to be a real pain since i dont have complete access to the under side of the cap. Im going to have to go back and forth.

That being said im going to have to make something to keep the hull sides from flopping out so when i try to get all the blocks level on the hull they are also level to the cap.

Need some suggestions.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Very hard to determine from this distance.

I would say that a dry fit is in order.

If it were me, I would be more concerned with fair lines than a level fit.

You don't want humps and bumps along the cap.

For this reason, most of the work needs to be done dry.

You would essentially set the cap on the hull and fit it.

Then put the blocks or cleats in place...you might use screws or some other temporary means. Go along and get the block heights where you want them. Mark them well and epoxy them to the hull after the entire cap is where you want it.

Then remove the cap or lift it up and out of the way and apply the blocks to their locations and coat them in epoxy to avoid ingress.

Then dry fit the cap again and do any tweaks and check to see if you have any larger margins.

Once you are satisfied things are ready, make a thixo mixture and put the cap down and ratchet strap or find some other ways of keeping it down on the blocks. Be careful to avoid direct point pressure, so use a longer 2x4 under strapping.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 pm

You might need to put some temp cleats on the hull sides and pull those with a rope if the cap requires some hull movement. Be careful about too much in one spot or the hull will get wavy.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 pm

The cap would sit on the blocks and a bit of thickened epoxy would go on each block.

Make sure the blocks have been pre-epoxied and sanded with 40 grit before gluind the cap on.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 pm

A laser level could be used, but I think you'll get a good idea about block heights side to side ought to be the same or close. And then use a small batten board or various straight edges to adjust the fit.

Without pictures of the gunwhale, this is harder for me to advise.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:17 pm

I went back to Jun 27 of last year and that will be tricky...

You might consider using a hot melt gun to spot the blocks.

The gun is cheap.

You would put the cap on and then take the block up to the cap where you thought it was good and just out a dab of hot glue on the block. It looks like the blocks might be angled even. Anyhow, spot the blocks and mark them well and break the glue bond and epoxy them in back where you wanted them. Hot glue is temporary.

How was the cap on before? Was it screwed through a rubrail?

Whatever you end up doing, it is all prep and the glue work with the cap is one shot.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Thu May 30, 2019 3:43 pm

I know I'm alone on this sentiment, but my vote is to ditch the cap & make your own covering boards.

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver » Thu May 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Im going to get those pictures to you of what im working with fallguy, thanks for the hot glue gun tip.

Cape_fisherman only reason i dont want to ditch the cap is one ive already put so much time and money into it already and also done with it id hate to start all over now. Cap is solid now though ive just got to set the blocks correctly so it has a level and matching curve over the bow. Not to mention the problem id run into with building a new cap is it would splay out on the sides and it would be really time consuming trying to get the dimensions just right to how it was.

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver » Thu May 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Also another thing im going to have two full length blocks for rods on each side but i guess they are going to sit on the floor unless i should just notch the floor where they will be. I appears in the other dolphin on here they are just to the floor though.