Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 am

Nice catch FallGuy!! Never fished for a Pike!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:57 am

they are kind of the freshwater version of barracuda. but you get to deal with sticks, lily pads, reeds and all kinds of things most saltwater folks don't think about too much (unless they are in the marshes).

I've watch folks nab pike with a bit of foil on a hook. Saw the same trick for cuda. Hence my comparison.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Never had much interest in fishing for northern pike, but for some reason I have always thought it would be cool to go to a place where it would be possible to fish for muskellunge.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25 am

Sad day today. The daylight is getting shorter. Lost 8 seconds. So to fell better went out and killed a few halibut. Nothing like fresh fish to make you feel better :wink:

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 am

Fuzz, I think I told you this story about your 24 hour sun but here it is again...
We were staying at the Bay Avenue B&B in Homer in June, 2012. We had stayed there the year before but they had a fire over the winter and literally had just reopened a couple of weeks before we got there. The owners were still working hard on touch ups after we checked in. It was daylight 24 hours a day at this point, which is pretty weird just coming from Florida.
We fished for halibut this particular day and we were just arriving back at the room at 9 pm. The owner and a couple of laborers were leaned up on a 30ish foot long utility trailer loaded with plants, mulch etc. They were having a beer so I figured they were about to turn in even though it was still daylight. We said our good nights and pulled down the shades and went to sleep.
I get up at 6am, grab a cup of coffee and go outside as is my normal routine to see the sun come up. Of course the sun had never went down and the exhausted landscape crew is busy picking up the empty bags and pots in front of the house that is now completely landscaped. :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Folks tend to burn the candle at both ends this time of the year. Glad for first snowfall, need the rest :lol:

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Went out fishing with Derrick today, lots of thunderstorms to dodge.
Did manage to get a nice cobia...
041CEF79-0AD1-4F92-A53D-7F38F0E81BE9.jpeg
8969ABE0-170B-42E7-A133-7CD412EDCB76.jpeg
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:08 am

Nice fish!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:10 am

Wow! We call 'em Ling here I think. I've only caught a couple of little ones and even they put up a tussle. You sure got that offshore nailed. Here's a recent trophy of mine:

Well, what can I say? That was out of my SK14 with the MinnKota trolling motor on the nose (with it's battery), the 5hp Tohatsu propane motor on the back and two guys (me at 185 and neighbor at 210). Full speed at that load was 10mph (OK 9.9). Not quite the same experience as your cobia :lol:

On a more serious note, so far I love the Tohatsu. Takes a dozen or so pulls (easy to do) to start the first time, then one pull the rest of the day.

Dougster

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Good to hear from you Doug! :D Great that you are enjoying retirement and getting to do some fishing! Fish size doesn’t matter, all are fun to catch.
Hey, your fun meter from the TX Meet in 2011 brings back memories. Good times.
On the cobia, the big ones do put up an awesome fight. Had to rush this one while we were pulling the anchor to get away from the dang lightning. The thing literally slammed my bait as I was reeling it up. Pic was taken 4 hours later on the way to the dock in bright sunshine. Had a Border Patrol officer from Texas onboard, he did NOT like our lightning. :lol:
Some folks call them ling here as well. Funny fish, you never know when they are going to appear. They’re also kinda dangerous in the boat if they are green and you don’t kill them quickly. This fish had a mate that wanted to get caught but we didn’t hang around for fear of getting barbecued...
Richard