ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:53 am

Congratulations to 2 lovely videos of the test run. The perfection of your build over the years walks over the water. I love it.

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Looks like she’s following some of the known experiences from as-designed Rescue Minors and Shoals Runners that were built. As she goes faster she runs her forefoot deeper. She will do very well with spray rails forward, gives a little bump of lift where the hull needs it most, and will keep her drier in a cross wind.

Curious how it will go when your prop shop pulls all the cup out of the wheel and gives more rpm, so that when you’re alone in the boat with no gear and a half tank of fuel, it is bouncing off the rev limiter consistently. This should give you a loaded weight, correctly pitched prop.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/5mydid-KnWE[/youtube]

Above is the boat that really started the tunnel stern seabright frenzy back in the early 2000’s. Robb White made his to eye based on the shape of Little Water, the dimensions of Shoals runner, and the weight of Rescue minor. You can see how imperative the spray rails are to the running trim, and this boat was notorious for nosing down at full throttle, as the top of the tunnel forced quite a bit of water downward. I’m betting a spray rail setup at the chine will make her trim just a hair better and definitely be drier.

She looks lovely and thanks for getting a few videos up. Honestly that’s what has kept me nosing around the site for the past couple years, watching this boat go together. My hope is to see full performance numbers from it someday, the videos we talked about, and maybe I’ll dust off my set of plans for the boat...

E

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 pm

The boat looks great, congratulations.
Alan.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Love the way she looks running. Was it the video or is it a little loud?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:45 am

Fuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 pm
Love the way she looks running. Was it the video or is it a little loud?
I think Glossie will have to switch to “silent running” if he wants to sneek up on anyone! :D

On “normal running”, Skinny Dip is telling the world, “We are here, and we don’t care who knows”! :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:57 am

Wow, and many thanks for your generous words Lee x 2, Eric x 2, Craig, Jeff, Karl, Alan and David. D

Since the test runs, you and others have asked many a spot on question that I've yet to respond to. I pledge to do so in due course.

However right now I'm flat out like a lizard trying to get our 44' sail boat Great Sandy ship shape to cross the Noosa bar at one of the high tides towards the end of this month, so we can cruise southwards for 2-3 months, and I can regain a modicum of my sanity and composure.

This way, the chances of more considered responses to your queries increase. At the moment, I'm running on empty, :wink:
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:00 am

Vids of GS crossing the bar!

SkinnyD looks amazing on the water. Congratulations.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 am

Thanks Jaysen, your support over the long haul has been much appreciated. :D

Today I ripped out and started replacing the electric marine head in Great Sandy. After nine years, it has become unreliable. Shitty work. :roll:

While working, I pondered on Spokaloo's thoughts on Skinnydip spray rails.
Spokaloo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm
Looks like she’s following some of the known experiences from as-designed Rescue Minors and Shoals Runners that were built. As she goes faster she runs her forefoot deeper. She will do very well with spray rails forward, gives a little bump of lift where the hull needs it most, and will keep her drier in a cross wind....... I’m betting a spray rail setup at the chine will make her trim just a hair better and definitely be drier. E

The following rat rod test pics show Skinnydip at a comfortable cruising speed of around 7 knots and 2000 rpm. At this speed, spray was generally not an issue, although every now and again, pushing into a wind on tide chop, it was. At higher rpm and speed, things got wetter quickly.

But for the moment, pics at around 2000 rpm and 7 knots:

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:38 am

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 am
Shitty work.
someone crapped all over your day?

I'm still planning to get down there and see if we can find some creek to get stuck in. I absolutely love how you've created a bespoke solution to a very unique set of problems. That and your approach/attitude (at least was we can see of it :)) makes we want to ask "WWGBD?" when someone makes an "electric head repair" of my day.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:50 pm

I would want the spray rails. Go ahead and add them, we both know you're going to! :lol: