Plyak 12 plan question (new boatbuilder)

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Plyak 12 plan question (new boatbuilder)

Post by elauer » Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm

Hey all,

I'm a senior in high school working on the Plyak 12 for a school project, and I have questions about the plan and how to interpret it.

Attached is an image of part of the plan, (I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to share this image, but my question is pretty specific.)

Two questions, both based on the middle piece.
1) There is a curve which appears to extend from the top left tip of the piece to either the middle of the piece, or to a point 24" to the left of the middle. Does anyone familiar with the plyak know which one it is? OR am I failing to pick up on notation within the plan that makes this clear?

2) On the left of the drawing, I've circled the 12" 5/8ths measurement. My question is: Does 12 5/8ths describe the distance from edge to edge of the piece (which makes the most sense to me)? OR does it describe the distance from the top tangent line to the bottom edge of the piece? (ie: the distance from edge to edge, PLUS the distance the curve is offset from the tangent line——it would be odd if this was the case, but the lack of a hash-mark on the edge of the piece indicates that the measurement actually extends to the tangent line. Maybe I am just confused)

I'd love if somebody could offer some insight into how to interpret these plans.

(Also, if I've broken some sort of rule by uploading a picture of this plan, I'm sorry, but I really need this question answered because I'm operating under a soft deadline)
Attachments
IMG_0757.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Plyak 12 plan question (new boatbuilder)

Post by Fuzz » Fri May 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Hey welcome to our little group.
I am sorry no one has chimed in with the answer for you yet. If you do not get the answer send a note to Jeff. Sometimes the designers miss questions so do not be afraid to ask more than once. I could make a guess but I do not want to guess, it would be much better for you to get the right answer for sure.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat May 16, 2020 9:22 am

I built the Plyak some time ago and of course don't remember the details, but looking at the pic I agree the 12 5/8 is the edge to edge measure. I do recall fussing with that. Basically I drew it out and ran a baton, making sure it respected the 5/8" measure at the tip and the 1/2" measure at the next station. Draw that and see if the numbers come out right. Hard to explain :doh: Don't cut 'till it makes sense.

Dougster

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm

The vertical dimensions are spaced 24" apart horizontally. (look at the top view above where it says '24" typ.')

1) So the 76-3/4 is the distance from the right hand (?) mark to the very end of the panel. (I.e. 4-3/4" past the 3 x 24" tick marks = 72")
2) 12-5/8" is the vertical distance from the tick mark to that end of the panel
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon May 18, 2020 2:12 pm

elauer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm

1) There is a curve which appears to extend from the top left tip of the piece to either the middle of the piece, or to a point 24" to the left of the middle.
On the deck view, there is a dimension marked 24 TYP. TYP means Typical, a dimensions that is repeated. All vertical dimension lines are spaced 24" unless marked other wise. See the text close to the top of the drawing.
You will draw vertical lines for every panel, every 24" except for the ones marked differently like 26-1/4 or 76 -3/4 etc.

2) On the left of the drawing, I've circled the 12" 5/8ths measurement. My question is: Does 12 5/8ths describe the distance from edge to edge of the piece (which makes the most sense to me)? OR does it describe the distance from the top tangent line to the bottom edge of the piece? (ie: the distance from edge to edge, PLUS the distance the curve is offset from the tangent line——it would be odd if this was the case, but the lack of a hash-mark on the edge of the piece indicates that the measurement actually extends to the tangent line. Maybe I am just confused)
The dimensions are from the baseline or center line. The baseline in this case is the straight horizontal line. In this case, it is also the edge of the plywood sheet if you use the nesting I suggest.
If you look closely, you will see the tick marks on the lines.

I see this text on my copy of the plans:
All dimensions ALWAYS from center line or baseline.
TYP means Typical, a repeated dimension.
Hull is symmetrical fore and aft.

It is on that drawing, along the top of the sheet. Could it be missing from your copy or form the PDF file?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Thank you for all your replies. I did end up assuming that 12 5/8ths was a measurement from edge to edge, rather than CL to edge, because that seemed to be consistent with the other measurements, even given the lack of a hash mark.

I now have every panel cut out, and am moving over to stitching things, which is a new process for me. You may see another post by me in the future.

Thanks again all.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm

if you post pictures of your progress here, you will get lots of feedback.
It serves several purposes.......

1. You will learn of any errors you make before you get further along and have to undo a lot of work.
2. You take more pride in your work when showing it to others.
3. You become part of a very valuable community of resources.
4. If doing this for a school project, your detailed documentation will help when presenting the project.
5. The people here are pretty fun and encouragement is a great psychological boost to your projects.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 am

Take your time on the stitching and post pics for sure. The bow is a little bit of a struggle and may take some "convincing", but it'll work. In mine the bottom panels kept lifting up and the keel line and a bit of weight spread over a 2 x 6 solved that.

Dougster