Plywood for D5

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Plywood for D5

Post by Russ5924 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:50 am

Tried this post in the other small boat section and got no answer. I would like to change the plywood on the sides to 4MM on the D5. Want a boat that is light enough to load in my van (One Person). Going to use it in small lakes by rowing or a Elect. trolling motor. :doh:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 am

No problem as long as it is marine plywood.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi Russ,
I also built a D5 and overbuilt it by a long shot - doubled transoms, fiberglass on the bottom, heavy plywood, and the sailing version. Even with its bigbonedness, I'm still able to load it up into the back of my truck by myself. I'm no superman, so let me describe how I do it:

First, I built a dolly out of plywood, epoxy, and some cheap pneumatic casters from northern tool: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 21_1029421

I built plywood pads to attach the casters and then attached them (with some spacers so they'd be perpindicular to the ground) to the rest of the dolly, which is an oblique L-shape. Part of the L sits along the bottom (with a slot cut for the skeg) and part sits along the transom. I then tie a rope from the part along the transom to one of the gudgeons higher up on the transom and tie a rope from each caster to the oarlocks. This prevents the dolly from torquing either forward or aft.

Then, I built a ramp that is just a piece of plywood trimmed to fit in my truck. I put vertical sides on it (~4") to stiffen it up and to prevent me from steering off of it. I also put a vertical piece at the end of the ramp (~6"). So, when I push the boat up, the wheels hit this piece and push the ramp up and into the truck along with the boat.

I wish I had some better pictures to show you. If you're really interested, I'll take some to share.

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:35 am

Jeremy. Would love to see a picture of that dolly. I was thinking about removable wheels that I could attach at the Transom. Just got my plans yesterday and am still going over them. Only things I am confused about is the only show two dimensions for the seats the side and the longest width,I guess can get it off the rib dimensions.and they call for stitches every 4 inches but that is with copper wire. :doh: :)

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:50 pm

There are folding dollies for kayaks and dollies for sailing dinghys. All ready to go out of a box.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Yeah, there are premade ones that could work really well for this. They tend to have a lot of clearance between the ground and the boat, though, so they wouldn't work for my truck - it has a cap and clearance around the opening is tight, even with this dolly.

I'll try to take some pictures of the dolly I made for you. It's nothing fancy at all, but if you're looking for something easier, lighter, probably more reliable, and more expensive, you can go with the store bought ones. You'll probably need to beef up the mounting system if you want to use a ramp like I do, though.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:02 am

I took these pictures last week, but couldn't post them due to the power outage.

Here's the dolly from the back:

A view of it from the rear quarter:

And a shot of it on its own:

The carpeting is just free samples of outdoor carpeting rubber cemented on. If you wanted it to all match, I guess you could actually pay for some.

There are three ropes in total:

1 rope is tied around the dolly and goes up and through one of the gudgeons, where it is tied tightly.

1 rope is looped through an eye near each of the casters. I found some plastic hooks with attached jam cleats at Lowe's to hold these fast. I stick the hooks into the oarlocks and tie one end of the rope to the hook. The other end of the rope goes in the jam cleat, which allows me to hold the dolly snugly to the bottom.

It's all a little tricky to put on in the water, but it's possible. It's not the most elegant solution, but it's the only one that seems to work for my situation. One of the manufactured dollies may work even better for you.

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:25 pm

That looks great like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Was wondering if you had gotten hit by the storm hope all is OK? Should have the wood and fiberglass after the first of the year want to build the D5 first than the FL12,but by the plans I think the FL12 is easier to build but will have more use for the D5.Was wondering they say the weight of the D5 is #55 is that the sailing boat or just bare boat. I did decide to go with the 1/4 on the sides. Thanks for the pictures. Russ

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:51 am

Yeah, we got hit pretty badly by the storm. A tree took out a power line right near my house. We were out of power for about 48 hours, which was bad, but not nearly as bad as some folks around here. No damage to property or people, either, so I shouldn't complain.

I would guess the 55# is for the non-sailing version. Mine is well above this, but I beefed it up quite a bit and used heavy fir. I would guess that using Okoume, being careful with your fiberglassing, and not adding extra weight, you could get a very light boat.

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:30 pm

Talk about frustration I didn't want to order plywood for the D5 only need 3 1/2 sheets. I can't find the 1088 plywood anywhere, but did find a warehouse with lots of it but they only sell wholesale. But I can't find anyone they sell it to. SO I will go with marine fir this is my fun practice boat and won't see any hard use?????????