Building the Flats Stalker 18 (Ideas, Options, & Misc.)

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Building the Flats Stalker 18 (Ideas, Options, & Misc.)

Post by Bayport_Bob » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:10 pm

My plans arrived & I'd like to start a new thread that only references the FS18 and thoughts on building this boat.

Please Note: If you have a specific question regarding the plans, etc. it would probably be best to create a new post so Jacques or Joel will see it and it won't get buried in this thread.

- Bob
Last edited by Bayport_Bob on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ghstdanc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ghstdanc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:23 pm

Bob we must have posted at about the same time. To avoid confusion, I'll delete my thread.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:55 pm

I haven't purchased a motor for this project yet.

I was seriously leaning towards a short shaft to keep the center of mass lower because it will probably be mounted to a TSG jack plate. The pictures I've seen of Gheenoes and "other" small skiffs with jack plates show the long shaft engine fairly high in the air. However, a short shaft would require some transom height removed to accommodate the shorter shaft.

One other thing to consider is that I'm 6' 6" tall and I'll have a poling platform installed. The platform height needs to be as short as possible and still allow sufficient engine clearance. Otherwise, given my height, a too tall platform, and combine that on a narrow hulled boat may result in more swimming back into the boat that I want to do.

Is there a preferred method for notching the transom for the short shaft outboard? I did a quick search of the tutorials, how to's, & forum, but didn't come across a standard method or dimensions.

Thanks - Bob

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 pm

Bob,

Most of us use a jig saw to cut the transom, also the width
may be easiest to get direct from the motor from steering
lock to lock. Its best to not cut the transom until the boat
is flipped and the motor is in hand so you can measure the
shaft from cav plate to hanger bracket.

I have been wondering bout the same also. However, with
the set back of 6" or so I'm not so sure one would need a
full size motor well. More like a small dish in the deck to
allow for the front of the motor to sit in if it were tilted.
Again, without having a set of plans in my hand yet I don't
know the height from keel to deck so its hard to picture
how we should do it.

I'm thinking of just boxing in the transom and having a
small recess with drain out the back for any splash over.
Last edited by FLYonWALL9 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:37 pm

My apologies to those that don't have their plans yet :( .

The plans don't show the sole dimensions, or the amount of material needed. To make this a self bailing cockpit, it looks like 2 extra sheets of plywood with a 108" long cockpit (1/4" ply?)?. Is this a correct assumption ? Does the sole get glassed other than along the top edges to the hull & frames?

Thanks! - Bob
Last edited by Bayport_Bob on Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

capt'nron
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by capt'nron » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Bayport Bob,

I just ordered my plans for the FS18 and live in NPR. I would really like to see your build. My email addy is captainron4t6@hotmail.com.

CR

mikebro72
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

short shaft

Post by mikebro72 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:59 pm

you definately should use a short shaft engine...my transom will be cut accordingly...you should be just fine with a transom measuring 17 - 18 inches top to bottom with a short shaft engine...wouldnt even need a jack, except for some setback(recommended)...

as i mentioned earlier on...i will be deviating(sp??) from the plans...i will be cutting my sides down a few inches(15 inches) and will make my transom 17 or 18 inches...i will be rigging a short shaft nissan 18(4 stroke) or a 15 merc(2 stroke)...i will be using a jack(for minimal lift and setback)...but thats my plans...

i havent recieved my plans yet....maybe tom...

btw...you shouldnt need 6 inches of setback....4 or 5 is plenty...
i can build anything, why not a boat??

Tom C
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Tom C » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 pm

Bayport_Bob wrote:a short shaft would require some transom height removed to accommodate the shorter shaft.
Bob, a TsG Ele Jack Plate with 5 inch setback works great with a 15 inch short shaft on a 18 inch transom.
Tom C
TsG Custom
TCampana@cfl.rr.com
321-277-87

Super Spook
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Super Spook » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:44 pm

I think that Fly is on track with the small motor well. The transom depth at the deck is 17 7/8", pretty close to the shaft length on my motor. I'm going to have to mock something up to see what I will need to do for clearance when tilting on a jack plate.

I do have a couple questions for Jacques, so far:

1) I could easily just be missing it, but it appears that there is a little bit of deadrise at the transom. Could you provide the distance from the baseline to the bottom point of the transom?

2) Do think that there's room to fit a small custom made aluminum tank foward of frame A? If I can fit a 5 or 6 gallon tank up there with a through-deck filler, it would make the under-deck storage between frames A & B.

Tom C,
I attempted to email you a couple days ago, but I'm not sure if you got it. I will try to give you a call tomorrow, if I don't hear from you. I'd like to discuss your product.

mikebro72
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

woohoo...

Post by mikebro72 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:59 am

my plans were on my porch this morning...soaking wet from all the rain last night...they will dry...we're in business now...cant wait to get started...payday today, at that....good morning so far....im ready to order some material, now...

i dont see anything about sole dimensions either....but it will be a lil while before i get to that...im sure i can figure it out when i get there, or im sure it will be addressed soon....
i can build anything, why not a boat??