One man river boat

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Don't know where you got the idea this boat runs shallow. If you want to run shallow you want to spread the load across as much water as possible. This boat shows very little bottom to the water because it is so small. For a given load it will go twice as deep as a hull that has twice as much bottom.
Also, little boats like this are much less efficient that a boat with a longer waterline. And, if you had to paddle it , it would be difficult to get it to go straight.
For juking around in a farm pond it wold be OK as long as the farm pond wasn't too big.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm guessing it doesn't run as shallow as many would think, but I still want one in the worst way. I'll build with popsicle sticks until I get it right and scale up if I have to. I'm thinking I'll put a small skeg on it to help with tracking. I'm thinking the bottom is stepped(couldn't see it) which would help with both stability and tracking.

Went to duckboats.net, but could only find something remotely like this. The only boats I found in comarable length were nothing like it. Maybe I just don't know how to look. I'm very inefficient at this internet thing for someone my age.

I'm debating building a frame in the correct shape and using posterboard or door skin to make panels to fit the frame, then using them as a template. Wish I knew something about design. I've already got 4 people at work who want one if I figure out how to do it. :)

Jbo

PS The one in the picture had at least 5 gallons of water in it, probably closer to ten.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm

Jbo, I've got a neighbor who owns one, factory built, and another he built himself with plywood, screws and liquid nails 8O I've actually used it and it did just fine. Termites ate it in 1 year.

The reason for the design is not draft, it is for flooded timber and cypress swamp where you are maneuvering between trees very close together.

Where are you in S. Georgia? If the redbreast and crappy are biting, you can see these type boats most any day at Longbridge Landing on Ebeneezer Creek or the Oliver Landing on the Ogeechee River.

I'll go by and check the brand of that one for you and take a picture. Will check others I'll run across soon. I've never paid them much attention. Not enough room for a decent beer cooler to suit me :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 pm

CL,

Thanks for the info. I'd appreciate any more you could get me. Any pics of the one the termites ate? How about panel measurements? :P I'm killing myself trying to think in 3D. I'd rather build it than buy it.

I'm in Albany. You're North Georgia to me over in Savannah. Although I've been following your OD18 build and would love to see it if I'm in the area some time. I get the impression you're a little obsessed about sanding. :lol:

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Jbo

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:53 am

Jbo, I've been accused of being obsessive about doing a good job, but I hate sanding.

Will try and get you some pictures this weekend.

Anytime you are in the area you are welcome to stop by :D
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:20 pm

CL, You didn't forget me did you?

Still hoping for pics and/or a manufacturer.

Thanks.

Jbo

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 pm

No, I haven't forgot you, just haven't had the opportunity yet. I've still got it on my to do list :lol:

roadranger
New Poster
New Poster

Re: One man river boat

Post by roadranger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:41 am

Hello jbo this boat you have here is called the Sneak built and manufactured in Pelion South Carolina by a man named Bobby Tindal who passed away back in 2003 there were 2 different designs built like you have here and another one called Super Sneak which the hull was a two piece design with a aluminum trim design around the mid section of the boat. I own two of these boats the super sneak I found in a fireworks store that a man was selling for a friend it was in terrible shape at first but I had it rebuilt and restored back to original condition and yes these boats have foot controlled steering and electric switches 53 and 54 lb motor guide motors on them one of them is a 1978 model and the other is a 1980 model both of them are green the Super Sneak is a Kelley green these are very rare one man boats!!

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: One man river boat

Post by jbo_c » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks, RR. At some point after this post, I found the name, but never talked the owner out of it.

I do finally have "plans" for a similar boat that I still intend to build. Though I'm trying to decide whether to build it as a two man.

Jbo