Red Alert Splashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Red Alert Splashed

Post by Aripeka Angler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm

I am well under way on this beast , but I am getting distracted with all the fish around the flats in Aripeka.Photos to come.[/b]
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loran Eisely
Last edited by Aripeka Angler on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 pm

The plan is perfect . I cut all of the hull parts on my Biesse CNC point to point router in my cabinet shop..I have taped all of the seams on the outside of the hull together with biaxial tape and I decided to go ahead and flip the hull to tape the inside. I picked 100 lf of african mahogany for framing and I am using Ocoume marine ply for the hull.SO FAR SO GOOD!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 pm

A word of caution to builders of this boat , the tunnel is harder to build than any other part of this boat . I would be happy to give my limited advice in this part of the glassing process .

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:22 pm

I want to use nidacore or .75 diab on the deck and has anyone out there done that on this boat ?

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Ken, aka Stickystuff used nidacore on his last XF20 build.

Some of his build is here:

http://www.bigbendsportsman.com/member_ ... 0_main.htm

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 am

Thanks for the link Bob I need all the help I can get. Does anyone know how many inches I need to extend the transom upward to allow for the flats-jac plate ? I will be using a 50 hp Yamaha with a 20 inch shaft . My current dimension is 23 3/4 inches from the top of the tunnel to the top of the transom.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 am

What's the range of your jackplate? Most plates have enough range to mount them in a normal position without needing to extend the height of the transom.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Bob I am thinking the boat in the link you sent me has a modified transom.The flats jac has a 6 inch travel and the plan states that you may need to extend the transom upward to allow for an optional jack plate.I have a Hewes Redfisher now that will not even come close to getting in the real skinny water in Aripeka without polling for 2 miles or wearing out my trolling motor. I want to get this right the first time. Check out the photos and tell me what you think. By the way that Owens skiff looks really good.Thanks!

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:41 pm

I don't have a set of plans to refer to, but the pictures in this gallery and the ones inserted below from Ken's build look to be close to the same height...

http://www.bateau2.comXF20/index.htm

Ken's

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm sure if Ken notices this post he'll respond. If not, the safest course would be to extend the height now, and if it's too tall, you can always cut off to the necessary height once you've seen how the boat runs.

There are really too may variables at this point: Plate offset, plate height, water jump out of the tunnel, water pick up height, prop design, etc.

I would recommend a water pressure gauge on the engine though. It will be your primary indicator of a safe motor height.